Loan Deferments

Frequently Asked Questions

An In-School Deferment request form is a form used to defer the repayment of loans. Once you have accepted financial aid, lenders require verification that you are actually attending school. Typically, you must be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for financial aid. 

As a participating school of the National Student Clearinghouse, we report your enrollment information to them. In turn, they report this information to your lenders. Your enrollment status is only reported to your lender after the census date. You can track this information by going to your MyMav Student Center and clicking on “Request Enrollment Verification” (under the Academics tab). This will take you to the National Student Clearinghouse website.

In most cases, you will not need to submit an In-School Deferment request form. Enrollment information is reported to the National Student Clearinghouse multiple times during a semester. This information is available for you and your lender through the National Student Clearinghouse.

To see if you need to submit an In School Deferment request form, check your Student Loan Deferment Notifications. For directions see enrollment verification.

If you see your information, you do not need to submit an In-School Deferment request form.

Only submit an In-School Deferment request form, if:

  • You are enrolled at least Half-Time for the semester (6+ hours for Undergraduate/5+ hours for Graduate).
    • If you are not enrolled at least Half-Time we cannot process an In-School Deferment form for you.
    • For Dynamic Dated courses and Summer (intersession, 5-week I, and 5-week II) you must be enrolled at least half-time. For example, a student that is considered less than half-time during summer intersession but enrolled in 5-week I, must wait until after census date of 5-week I to be eligible for an in-school deferment. 
  • You are in default.
  • Your lender is not listed in your Student Loan Deferment Notifications, (This can be found on the National Student Clearinghouse website accessible through your MyMav Student Center).
  • You are currently enrolled in the term in which you are requesting. If you are requesting for a future term, please request a Letter of Intent. 

You may submit your In-School Deferment form here. Please ensure that you have completed the student portion with all signatures. DO NOT write in the school section. 

If your lender is unwilling or cannot use the services provided by the National Student Clearinghouse, contact the Student Services Center at 703-742-4200 or

UTA Home Students: If you are a UT Arlington Home student taking Finish@UT SSP courses at other UT System schools, the courses that you are registered for at those campuses will show on your MyMAV Student Center as the Census Date nears. National Student Clearinghouse will receive your official enrollment status after the Census date for the current term. If your information does not show in National Student Clearinghouse after the census date has passed, please follow these procedures choose the loan deferment MachForm listed in the above section. 

Please remember that you must have registered for the course(s) via the Cross Campus Student Portal (submitted a registration request and it was approved by your advisor and the Office of the Registrar) in order for the course to count towards your enrollment status.

UTA Host Students: If you are a UT Arlington Host student, please contact the Registrar’s Office at your Home Campus.