Center for Research on Teaching and Learning Excellence (CRTLE)
Office of the Provost, Division of Faculty Success
Service Learning: Students partner with a nonprofit agency and conduct a service project within their academic course to gain real-world knowledge and skills. Their professor guides thoughtful reflection, which enhances the students’ hands-on experience.
What's in it for me?
• Builds connections for job and internship opportunities
• Gets you out of the classroom to collaborate on real-world solutions
• Gives a better understanding of the relevance of your coursework through hands-on experiences
• Helps enhance your resume by developing skills through service
• Helps you see others’ perspective while making a difference in your community
How Much Time Does It Take?It depends...
• Some professors use normal class time for the projects
• Some professors offer it to enhance your classroom experience