College of Education News
The Science of Teaching Reading (STR) Exam and Certification Updates
Overview of the STR Exam Requirement:
House Bill 3, passed during the 86th Texas Legislature, established the requirement that all teacher candidates who teach students in grades Pre-K-6 demonstrate proficiency in the science of teaching reading on a new, standalone certification exam. This requirement takes effect on January 1, 2021. The STR exam will be required for the issuance of five certification fields.
- Early Childhood: EC – Grade 3
- Core Subjects with Science of Teaching Reading: Early Childhood–Grade 6
- Core Subjects with Science of Teaching Reading: Grades 4–8
- English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies with Science of Teaching Reading: Grades 4–8
The STR exam will be required for the issuance of intern, probationary, and standard certifications for these certification fields beginning January 1, 2021.
Teachers who are currently standard certified in Core Subjects: EC-6, Core Subjects: 4-8, English Language Arts and Reading: 4-8, or English Language Arts and Social Studies: 4-8 will not be required to pass the STR exam for renewal of their certificate. The STR exam requirement only impacts candidates seeking certification after Jan. 1, 2021.
Webinars and Resources Related to the STR Exam:
- FAQ document has been made available to answer the most common questions received.
- STR Exam Timelines and Requirements June 2020 webinar presentation.
- The preparation manual for the 293 Science of Teaching Reading (STR) TExES is now available on the Texas Educator Certification Exam website. The preparation manual is web-based and responsively designed for viewing on multiple devices. A PDF version that includes the exam framework and sample exam questions will also be available for download.
- One-page important information documents are now available. Please choose the appropriate one below for common questions and answers:
- New Requirements for initial teacher certification in:
For complete STR information, please click on the following TEA website: https://tea.texas.gov/texas-educators/certification/educator-testing/the-science-of-teaching-reading-str-exam
If you need assistance, have additional questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.