Skip to content. Skip to main navigation.


Thank you for consulting the Office of Student Conduct's website to learn more about your student’s rights and responsibilities as a member of the University community. We hope that the information that we have provided for you will help with any questions you may have about the UTA's expectations for your student. It is our goal to ensure that all students receive due process as well as ensuring educational opportunities for students’ personal growth.

While at our website, we encourage you to explore all the information you feel will be essential to answering these questions. If at any time you have additional questions, please feel free to contact the Office of Student Conduct by calling 817-272-2354 or send an email to We want to remind you that without your son/daughter's consent, we cannot discuss their disciplinary matters with you as a parent or guardian.

The Office of Student Conduct protects student information with consideration to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, U.S.C. 1232 (FERPA). To aid the process of working with your student, the Office of Student Conduct offers a Consent Form.

Consent Form

In using the Consent Form, please know that talking with your student and working through any issues, before contacting the Office of Student Conduct, is very much preferred. The Office of Student Conduct looks for parents and guardians to be involved in the process as much as necessary, but also to allow students to take responsibility for their actions and decisions.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why did my son/daughter receive a letter from the Office of Student Conduct?
The Office of Student Conduct sends summons letters and request to appear letters to students either involved in or witness to a policy violation. These letters allow a conduct officer for the Office of Student Conduct to investigate the information provided in referrals and to determine whether a disciplinary sanction is required.

What is a referral, and who can submit a referral to your office?
The Office of Student Conduct receives referrals from faculty, staff, and students regarding a variety of policy violations.

Can I call and make the appointment for my student?
Due to confidentiality, the Office of Student Conduct is only able to discuss a student's case with that student. If you want to be involved in the process, your son/daughter would need to fill out a consent form that would allow the release of confidential information to you. This form can be obtained from the Office of Student Conduct.

Can I attend the discipline meeting with my student?
Discipline meetings are held with just the student; however, a parent(s) can attend once their student has filled out a consent form allowing the release of confidential information to the specified parent(s). A parent will not be permitted in the discipline meeting without this consent form. This form can be obtained from the Office of Student Conduct.

Does the University have any written policy about information from student records that can be shared with parents?
Yes. Like other colleges and universities across the country, the University is subject to a federal law called the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (also called "FERPA" or the "Buckley Amendment"). FERPA sets privacy standards for student educational records and requires institutions to publish a compliance statement, including a statement of related institutional policies. Read more about Ferpa.

Where can I find out more information about FERPA?
FERPA is enforced by the U.S. Department of Education. The Department maintains a FERPA website with links to FERPA regulations.Also, among the records not protected by FERPA are dates of attendance, academic major, and degrees received. Read more about these records.

How will I know if my student is subject to University disciplinary action?
Student disciplinary records are protected under FERPA. The best practice is for your son/daughter to inform you about any disciplinary charges directly. Students can authorize release of all information in their disciplinary files.

volunteers working on Catalina Island


Break out

Spend your Spring Break doing more than getting a tan by volunteering for projects in Florida, California, New Orleans, or other locales.

Alternative Spring Break