Our program is traditionally a 4-year plan to be taken simultaneously with a student’s academic programs, but it can be condensed all the way down to only a 2-year program under unique circumstances for highly-qualified applicants. The first 2 years of the 4-year program are non-obligational to join. Meaning, a student can be in Army ROTC without signing a contract with the Army. However, to continue the program after the first two years, cadets must sign a contract obligating them to service in the Army after graduation.

Paths to a commission

Ultimately, the goal is to get you to become an officer in the U.S. Army, but there are many different ways to get you there. Which path you take is going to depend on where you currently are. Whether you are currently in High School, enrolled in one of our six universities, a student at one of our two community colleges, enlisted in the active duty Army, or enlisted in the Texas National Guard or U.S. Army Reserves, there is a pathway for you to become an officer in any component of the U.S. Army.

How to Enroll

If you are a high school junior or senior and are interested in enrolling in Army ROTC while at one of our colleges or universities, reach out to us [link to contact page] to join without a commitment during your freshman year of college. High school seniors are eligible to apply for the National Scholarship that pays for all tuition and fees for up to four years at a university that has an Army ROTC program. For the most up to date information regarding application requirements and submission windows, go here. The National Scholarship comes with an 8-year service requirement after graduation and commissioning.

If you’re interested in enrolling in Army ROTC and you’re currently enrolled in one of our colleges or universities, you can start by talking to our Army ROTC Admissions Officer about taking the Army ROTC basic elective course and about the incentives available, including opportunities to compete for two-, three-, or four-year merit-based scholarships.

If you have two years remaining towards an undergraduate or graduate degree, you are still eligible to enroll in Army ROTC. Talk to our Admissions Officer about going to Basic Camp.

If you’re interested in enrolling in Army ROTC and you’re currently or plan to be enrolled in a Tarrant County College or Collin College, reach out to our Admissions Officer to learn more about how receive credit for ROTC electives.

In order to receive a commission in the U.S. Army through Army ROTC, you must pursue and receive either an undergraduate or graduate level degree. As a community college student, you can enroll and participate in the lower levels of Army ROTC (MSI & MSII) while you are at Tarrant or Collin Colleges. To continue in the program, you will have to be accepted and transfer to one of the four year universities within our program. To enroll, contact our admissions officer.

If you’re an enlisted soldier in the Active Duty Army, you might be eligible for one of the Army’s Green to Gold programs. There are three different Green to Gold programs, each designed to offer enlisted soldiers a unique path to earning an undergraduate or graduate degree and a commission. Find the most up to date information at Go Army and talk with your direct line-leader about pursuing Green to Gold.

  • Green to Gold Scholarship Option — For Soldiers who are considering leaving Active Duty to attend college while receiving full tuition or room and board (capped), flat rate book payment and a monthly stipend.
  • Green to Gold Active Duty Option — For Soldiers who want to remain on Active Duty and attend college. These soldiers will receive entitlements based on their current rank.
  • Green to Gold Non-Scholarship — For Soldiers who are considering leaving Active Duty to attend college while receiving a monthly stipend.

If you’re an enlisted soldier in the Texas National Guard or the U.S. Army Reserves and you’re interested in continuing your education and pursuing a commission into any component of the U.S. Army, you can participate in the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP). While an SMP cadet, you will be placed in a non-deployable status to allow you to complete your degree uninterrupted.

The Simultaneous Membership Program allows you to attend Army ROTC and serve in the U.S. Army Reserve or Army National Guard at the same time. Cadets serve as officer trainees in the Army Reserve or National Guard while completing college. You can earn Army Reserve/National Guard pay and benefits in addition to your Army ROTC allowances.

To become an SMP cadet, contact our Admissions Officer to enroll in ROTC courses and begin the process towards becoming simultaneously enrolled.


The UTA Presidential Housing – ROTC scholarship is a merit based scholarship which provides a bed in Lipscomb North.

Frequently Asked Questions

A contracted cadet is a student who commits within the program by signing a contract with the U.S. Army pledging to serve time after graduation. Contracting occurs once a cadet either accepts a scholarship or wants to continue into the advanced military science courses. Cadets are considered non-contracted prior to this point and are enrolled in the program without any future obligations. Non-contracted cadets do not receive benefits from the Army.

Upon successful completion of the program, students are commissioned as Second Lieutenants to serve as officers in either the Active Duty, National Guard, or Reserve components of the U.S. Army. As an officer they will be primarily responsible for planning, development, unit readiness, and the well-being of their soldiers.

You get out of Army ROTC however much you are willing to put in! Across all four years a cadets basic commitments are to attend physical training (PT) in the morning four days a week during the school year, attend their specific military science lecture, attend a once a week three hour lab, and attend the three-day Field Training Exercise (FTX) once a semester. Outside of that you can be more involved if you choose to do so. Membership in any of our special teams is entirely voluntary, but can add to the valuable experiences of Army ROTC. During the basic level courses (MSI & MSII) the time commitment is minimal as you adjust to the program. Going into the advanced courses (MSIII & MSIV), the time commitment jumps up as you will be assigned a cadet duty position that will require planning and leading during your personal time. It is nothing impossible and those who invest time and energy into the program will see great fulfillment.

It depends! Cadets who wish to be in the National Guard or Reserve after graduation can find a unit with an opening for a lieutenant of the branch they desire. Cadets pursuing Active Duty service after graduation do not get to choose, but they will have great influence over the choice. Those cadets go through a national accessions process during their MSIII year where items such as their GPA, leadership ability, Advanced Camp performance, personality, and personal preferences are combined to determine which branch the cadet will serve in upon graduation. Ultimately, the cadets branch assignment will depend on a combination of those stated factors and the needs of the Army at the time. Cadet Command consistently reports high levels of satisfaction of cadets receiving one of their top 5 branch choices.

The U.S. Army has 17 basic branches that cadets can join as officers. Throughout the first three years of military science courses, cadets are instructed on the different missions of the branches of the Army. If you would like to learn more now, contact us or you can check them out here.