634 Nedderman Hall
416 Yates Street
Arlington, TX 76019-0019
Modern Software and Hardware Systems
Software engineering is an engineering-based approach to software development. A software engineer is a person who deals with the design, development, testing and maintenance of software applications.
Why Software Engineering at UTA
UTA's Computer Science and Engineering Department is enjoying booming enrollment and has been awarded millions of dollars in research grants, making it an ideal place for students seeking a vibrant, leading-edge environment to pursue a degree.
What Do Software Engineers Do?
Software engineers research, design, develop, and test computer systems and components. They also create software solutions to meet client requirements and could work on anything from web applications and content management systems to databases and operating systems.
Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering
Students in the B.S. in Software Engineering program will gain fundamental knowledge and practical skills in engineering software systems, including the ability to implement, test and maintain those systems, to identify needs and software requirements in an application domain, and to design systems to meet desired needs within realistic constraints. Software engineering principles could apply to different domains, including, but not limited to, video games, financial software, communication software, social network apps, personal computing and scientific computing.
Students will also apply the knowledge and skills gained in the classroom in real-world settings through internships or co-ops and course projects, including the capstone project.
- B.S. in Software Engineering, on-campus
- Fast Track B.S. to M.S. program in Software Engineering, on-campus - Three shared courses between the B.S. and M.S. programs allows students to complete a master's degree with just 21 additional hours
Software Engineering at UTA
- Benefit from a well-designed curriculum that balances coursework and practical skills.
- Collaborate with students from different engineering disciplines on a capstone project
- Engage in cutting-edge research projects that are funded by university, industry and government agencies.
- Learn from well-established faculty who work closely with industry.
- Join a network of alumni who hold positions in leading companies such as Facebook, Google, Lockheed Martin, Microsoft, and others.
The program in software engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET (https://www.abet.org), under the General Criteria and the Software Engineering Program Criteria.
Requirements for Licensure or Certification
All discipline specific programs in the College of Engineering meet educational requirements for professional licensure or certification in all U.S. states, territories, and the District of Columbia.
(Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2022)
Projected growth through 2032: 25%
Get a head start on your UTA software engineering degree in high school! If you have the prerequisites, our courses can be used to satisfy high school course requirements and can be applied toward your undergraduate degree.
WANT MORE INFORMATION?
The College of Engineering offers so many exciting options for all undergraduate students. Reach out to discover your options in academic majors and more. Click the button below!