634 Nedderman Hall
416 Yates Street
Arlington, TX 76019-0019
The Biomaterials Laboratory is focused on developing both soft and hard bioactive biomaterials for applications ranging from drug delivery, tissue engineering, structural and orthopedic applications. Recent projects have focused on:
- Scaffolds for Drug Delivery Applications
- Development of Bioglass-Hydroxyapatite composites for orthopedic and tissue engineering applications.
- Mechanism of femoral osteonecrosis and bone regeneration.
- Role of amorphous SiON and SiONP coatings on osteointegration and bone regeneration.
- Pranesh B. Aswath, Ph.D. Professor and Vice Provost
- Dr. Venu Varanasi (Texas A&M Health Science Center)
- Dr. Harry K.W. Kim (UT Southwestern and Scottish Rite Hospital for Children)
- Dr. Panos Shiakolas (University of Texas at Arlington)
- Dr. Antonella Motta (University of Trento)
- Dr. Claudio Migliaresi (University of Trento)
- NIH – R03 Grant
- Dr. Phillipe Monte (Ph.D.)
- Ms. Ami Shah (Ph.D.)
- Ms. Tugba Cebe (M.S)
- Mr. Kamal Awad (M.S.)
Alumni of Biomaterials Laboratory
- Dr. Anurag Pandey (DuPuy Synthes)
- Mr. Eric Jan (Independent Business)
- Dr. Hande Demirkiran (Alvi Medica)
- Mr. Mayur Uttarwar (Allergran Medical)
- Ms. Shruthi Gandhi (Aditya Birla Group)
- Mr. Jayapradhi Rajendran (Development Engineer)
- Dr. Megan Veltan (Conoco Phillips)
- Ms. Annabelle Yao
- Letia Blanco, Chris Grace, Christopher Alberts, Andrew Patin, Kyle Godfrey, Panayotis Shiakolas and Pranesh Aswath “Controlled Release Nanoparticulate Matter Delivery System” (Issued) U.S. Patent Number 9,522,241 On December 20th 2016.
- Venu Varanasi, Pranesh B. Aswath, Megen Maginot and Nickolay Lavrik “ Amorphous Silicon Oxynitride and Amorphous Silicon Nitride Thin Films and Uses Thereof”. US Patent Application Number: 201600067387, March 10th 2016.
- Natascia Cozza, Felipe Monte, Walter Bonani, Pranesh Aswath, Antonella Motta and Claudio Migliaresi. “Bioactivity and Mineralization of Natural Hydroxyapatite from Cuttlefish Bone and Bioglass Co-Sintered Ceramics” Accepted for Publication , Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, May 2017.DOI:10.1002/term.2448
- Azhar Ilyas, Tetsuro Odatsu, Ami Shah, Philip Kramer, Pranesh B. Aswath and Venu Varanasi, “ Amorphous Silica, a New Antioxidant Role for Rapid Critical Sized Calvarial Defect Healing”, Advanced Health Care Materials. 5(17), 2199-2213, 2016., DOI 10.1002/adhm.201600203.
- Olumide O Aruwajoye, Pranesh B. Aswath and Harry K.W. Kim, “Material Properties of Femoral Head Treated with Ibandronite and BMP-2 following Ischemic Necrosis: Experimental Investigation in Immature Pigs”, Journal of Orthopedic Research, August 2016., DOI 10.1002/jor.23402
- Megen Maginot, Shuxian Lin, Ying Liu, Baozhi Yuan, Jian Q. Feng and Pranesh B. Aswath, “The In-Vivo Role of DMP-1 and Serum Phosphate on Bone Mineral Composition” Bone, 81, pp. 602-613, December 2015, . DOI: 10.1016/j.bone.2015.08.018
- Azhar Ilyas, Nickolay V. Lavrik, Harry K.W. Kim and Pranesh B. Aswath, Venu Varanasi, “Amorphous Silicon Oxynitride Thin Films Enhance Osteogenesis of Human Periosteal Cells and “Bone-Like”Mineral Formation Via Rapid Carbonate and Phosphate Functional Group formation”, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 7(28), pp.15368-15379, November 2015. DOI:10.1021/acsami.5b03319
- Olumide Aruwajoye, Harry H.K. Kim and Pranesh B. Aswath, “Bone Apatite Composition of Necrotic Trabecular Bone in the Femoral Head of Immature Piglets”, Calcified Tissue International and Musculoskeletal Research, April 2015, 96(4), pp. 324-334. DOI: 10.1007/s00223-015-9959-7
- Tetsurou Odatsu, Taha Azimale, Megen F Velten, Michael Vu, Mark B Lyles, Harry S Kim, Pranesh B Aswath and Venu Varanasi “Human Periosteum Cell Osteogenic Differentiation Enhanced by Ionic Si Release from Porous Silica Fibrous Scaffolds”, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, August 2015. 103(8), 2797-2806, DOI: 10.1002/jbm.a.35412
- Jayapradhi Rajendran, Stefano Gialanella and Pranesh B. Aswath, “XANES Analysis of Dried and Calcined Bones”Materials Science and Engineering C, 33(7), 2013, pp. 3968-3979. 10.1016/j.msec.2013.05.038
- Oluminde Aruwajoye, Mihir Patel, Matthew Allen, David B. Burr, Pranesh B. Aswath, Harry K. Kim, “Microcrack Density and Nanomechanical Properties in the Subchondral Region of Immature Piglet Femoral Head Following Ischemic Necrosis” Bone, 52(2), 2013, 632-639. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2012.07.028
- Neda Saffarian Tousi, Megen F. Velten, Timothy J. Bishop, Kelly K. Leong, Nicole S. Barkhordar, Grayson W. Marshall, Peter M. Loomer. Pranesh B. Aswath, Venu G. Varanasi “Combinatorial Effects of Si4+, Ca2+ and Mg2+ Released from Bioactive Glasses on Osteoblast Osteocalcin Expression and Biomineralization ” Materials Science and Engineering C, 33(5), 2013, pp. 2757-2765. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2013.02.044