634 Nedderman Hall
416 Yates Street
Arlington, TX 76019-0019
The Nanobiotechnology Laboratory focuses on integrating man-made and nature's micro/nanoscale materials, processes, and systems for engineering innovation. We work on research projects at the intersection of physical sciences and engineering and life sciences and biomedicine at the micro/nanoscale:
- Biologically-inspired micro/nanoscale materials and systems
Kyungsuk Yum, Ph.D., Assistant Professor
Postdoctoral Research Associates
Dr. Jin-Young Jung, Ph.D.
Dr. Jiwon Lee, Ph.D.
Hakan Arslan (Ph.D.)
Amirali Nojoomi (Ph.D.)
Alireza Ahmadiparidari (Ph.D.)
Paul Nalam (M.S.)
Pinkybel Jose (M.S)
Ninad Khadse (M.S.)
Facilities and Equipment
Chemical synthesis facility
Cell culture facility
Soft lithography facility
- Astha Jain, Aida Homayoun, Christopher W. Bannister and Kyungsuk Yum, “Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes as Near-infrared Optical Biosensors for Life Sciences and Biomedicine,” Biotechnology Journal 10, 447-459 (2015).
- Kyungsuk Yum, SoonGweon Hong, Kevin E. Healy and Luke P. Lee, “Physiologically Relevant Organs on Chips,” Biotechnology Journal 9, 16-27 (2014).
- Jingqing Zhang, Markita P. Landry, Paul W. Barone, Jong-Ho Kim, Shangchao Lin, Zachary W. Ulissi, Dahua Lin, Bin Mu, Ardemis A. Boghossian, Andrew J. Hilmer, Alina Rwei, Allison C. Hinckley, Sebastian Kruss, Mia A. Shandell, Nitish Nair, Steven Blake, Fatih Sen, Selda Sen, Robert G. Croy, Deyu Li, Kyungsuk Yum, Jin-Ho Ahn, Hong Jin, Daniel A. Heller, John M. Essigmann, Daniel Blankschtein, Michael S Strano, “Molecular Recognition Using Corona Phase Complexes Made of Synthetic Polymers Adsorbed on Carbon Nanotubes,” Nature Nanotechnology 8, 959-968 (2013).
- Bin Mu, Thomas McNicholas, Jingqing Zhang, Andrew Hilmer, Zhong Jin, Nigel Reuel, Jong-Ho Kim, Kyungsuk Yum and Michael S. Strano, “A Structure-Function Relationship for the Optical Modulation of Phenyl Boronic Acid-Grafted, Polyethylene Glycol Wrapped Single Walled Carbon Nanotubes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society 134, 17620-17627 (2012).
- Kyungsuk Yum, Jin-Ho Ahn, Thomas P. McNicholas, Paul W. Barone, Bin Mu, Jong-Ho Kim, Rishabh M. Jain and Michael S. Strano, “Boronic Acid Library for Selective, Reversible Near-Infrared Fluorescence Quenching of Surfactant Suspended Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes in Response to Glucose,” ACS Nano 6, 819-830 (2012).
- Hyeonseok Yoon, Jin-Ho Ahn, Paul W. Barone, Kyungsuk Yum, Richa Sharma, Ardemis A. Boghossian, Jae-Hee Han and Michael S. Strano, “Periplasmic Binding Proteins as Optical Modulators of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Fluorescence: Amplifying a Nanoscale Actuator,” Angewandte Chemie – International Edition 50, 1828-1831 (2011).
- Kyungsuk Yum, Sungsoo Na, Yang K. Xiang, Ning Wang and Min-Feng Yu, “Mechanochemical Delivery and Dynamic Tracking of Single Fluorescent Quantum Dots in the Cytoplasm and Nucleus of Living Cells,” Nano Letters 9, 2193-2198 (2009).
- Kyungsuk Yum, Han Na Cho, Jie Hu and Min-Feng Yu, “Individual Nanotube-Based Needle Nanoprobes for Electrochemical Studies in Picoliter Microenvironments,” ACS Nano 1, 440-448 (2007).
- Zhaoyu Wang, Jie Hu, Abhijit Suryavanshi, Kyungsuk Yum and Min-Feng Yu, “Voltage Generation from Individual BaTiO3 Nanowires under Periodic Tensile Mechanical Load,” Nano Letters 7, 2966-2969 (2007).
- Kyungsuk Yum and Min-Feng Yu, “Measurement of Wetting Properties of Individual Boron Nitride Nanotubes with the Wilhelmy Method Using a Nanotubes-Based Force Sensor,” Nano Letters 6, 329-333 (2006).
- Kyungsuk Yum and Min-Feng Yu, “Surface-Mediated Liquid Transport through Molecularly Thin Liquid Films on Nanotubes,” Physical Review Letters 95, 186102 (2005).