Special Programs, Volunteering, Research Opportunities, and Helpful Resources
- JOINT ADMISSION MEDICAL PROGRAM
- JAMP is a special program created by the Texas Legislature to support and encourage highly qualified, economically disadvantaged Texas resident students pursuing a medical education. One of the many benefits to this wonderful program is the opportunity for guaranteed acceptance to one of the Texas Medical Schools. Read more about JAMP.
- PRE-MEDICAL PRECEPTORSHIP PROGRAM
- This program allows UTA students with a medically related interest an opportunity to be paired with a physician mentor from Texas Health Resources Arlington Memorial Hospital for one semester through a competitive application process. In addition, the program also requires an academic component in which students participate in weekly journal clubs with their peers and a faculty member. Find out more information about the PRECEPTORSHIP PROGRAM.
iConnect is a student and peer-mentorship organization based at UTA whose goal is to provide aspiring high school students with the resources to reach their college and career goals. Our mission is to bridge the gap between secondary education and college!
- UTA's STUDY ABROAD PROGRAMS (For Spanish and Clinical Experiences)
- These programs provide experiences in other countries while offering course credit. Certain opportunities are available for students wanting to participate in clinical rotations in other countries. Scholarships and financial aid are available. For more details, students should make an appointment with an advisor on the Study Abroad website.
- ALTERNATIVE BREAKS - UTA's LEADERSHIP CENTER
- Alternative Breaks is a student organization that plans service trips for UTA students to attend over the academic breaks. Through service, work, and education, we foster the personal growth of our participants. There are healthcare and non-healthcare related opportunities available!
- PARKLAND HOSPITAL OBSERVATION PROGRAM
- The experience is designed to increase career awareness, fulfill education/application requirement and help model behavior through example. Eligibility and additional information can be found on the website.
- STUDENTS ENGAGED in ROUNDING and VOLUNTEERING PROGRAM (SERV)
- The SERV Program is a two-semester long volunteering and shadowing program at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas. Eligibility and additional information can be found on the website.
- TEXAS A&M COLLIGATE II PROGRAM FOR DENTISTRY
- SPEP Collegiate II is a six-week program which provides college and post-college students an opportunity to strengthen their dental schools application and provide DAT preparation. Visit the website for additional information.
- UT HEALTH SHPEP
- The SUMMER HEALTH PROFESSIONS EDUCATION PROGRAM (SHPEP) is a free, six-week career-enrichment program for college freshman and sophomore students, interested in a career within the health professions. Visit the website for additional information. Applications for 2021 available November 1st!
- ATLANTIS FELLOWSHIP
- This program allows students to participate in pre-med internships in Europe's hospitals. For more information visit the website.
- DIVERSITY ADMISSIONS SYMPOSIUM at Baylor (Houston)
- This free* event is to provide assistance to accomplished undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students underrepresented in medicine and science and are interested in applying to their medical, health professions, or biomedical sciences school. Applications open early December.
- SUMMER ENRICHMENT and PIPELINE PROGRAMS - AAMC SEARCH
- Database to search for enrichment programs
- MED/VET SUMMER LEADERSHIP ACADEMY at St. George's University
- Pursue your interest in the field of medicine or veterinary medicine with St. George’s University’s unique summer program for high school students and college students. The premedical and pre-veterinary tracks combine lectures, field trips, and team-building events.
- SPANISH IMMERSION & MEDICAL SHADOWING Summer Abroad
- Program aimed at giving students shadowing opportunities while learning Spanish to decrease the language gap between providers and Spanish speaking patients.
- MENTORING for the NEXT GENERATION OF HEALTH PROFESSIONALS
- MiMentor offers a supportive online community for all future health professionals including undocumented students
- UTA Volunteers
- UTA Community Partners
- Fort Worth Volunteering
- Hospice Volunteering
- Volunteer at THR-Arlington
- Mission Arlington - Medical and Dental Clinics
- Mansfield Mission Center - Medical and Dental Clinics
- Operation Warm has a list of 35 ways to volunteer virtually
- Paper-airplanes.org invites volunteers to provide online tutoring to “bridge gaps in language, higher education, and professional skills training for conflict-affected individuals”
- Dosomething.org’s nine places to volunteer online and make a real impact
- If you’ve received crisis hotline training, check to see if your community’s crisis hotline could use additional phone or chat volunteers. Many crisis hotlines are overloaded right now.
- Work with underserved and under-resourced youth - online tutoring, mentoring, etc.
RESEARCH & SUMMER OPPORTUNITIES
UTA's Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) provides, tracks, and assesses research opportunities for undergraduate students through informal (volunteer) and formalized (program/employment) opportunities. OUR provides student/faculty mentor matching and collaborates with DFW entities. OUR is also part of the Maverick Advantage distinctions and provides four funded and formalized undergraduate research opportunities. For more information visit: UTA Undergraduate Research. For COVID-19 updates visit: IMPACT ON UTA RESEARCH
- Visit UTA departmental faculty pages for information on specific research
- National Science Foundation - all undergraduate students
- UNT - Summer 2020 Chemistry NSF-REU Program - undergraduate students
- UTSW SURF Program - undergraduate science student that have completed sophomore year
- Weill Cornell Research Fellowship Program - pre-med juniors
- Summer Research Programs - list from Cornell - undergraduate students
- Frankel Cardiovascular Center 2020 SURF Program - undergraduate students interested in cardiovascular research
- AMGEN Scholars Program - undergraduate sophomores, juniors, or non-graduating seniors interested in pursing a Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D.
- SUMMER opportunities for pre-health students (courtesy of NAAHP)
Masters and Formal Post-Baccalaureate Programs
- UTA - M.S. in Athletic Training
- UNT - M.S. in Medical Sciences
- AACOMAS - Osteopathic Schools with post-baccalaureate programs
- AAMC - Post-baccalaureate programs
- Texas A&M College of Dentistry post-baccalaureate program