Health Professions Advising
The Health Professions Office offers resources for students interested in graduate level health professional programs such as medical, dental, pharmacy, physician assistant, optometry, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and veterinary programs. Prior to making an appointment, please visit the FAQ Page. Quick questions are always welcome via email - email@example.com!
Students interested in NURSING, KINESIOLOGY or PUBLIC HEALTH are advised by the College of Nursing and Health Innovation.
HEALTH PROFESSIONS ADVISOR
Sandy Hobart, Life Sciences Building 107A firstname.lastname@example.org
- All advising, feedback on essays, mock interviews
- HPAC Chair, Preceptorship Coordinator
- For limited appointment availability, consider booking with a peer mentor for general advice and questions.
Dr. Steven Gellman, M.D., MFA, FAAFP; Life Sciences Building 107G
- Medical career discussions, mock interviews, feedback on essays
Dr. Gellman may have additional availability. Please email email@example.com for special requests
JAMP FACULTY DIRECTOR (JFD)
Dr. Greg Hale, Ph.D., COS Assistant Dean, UTeach Arlington co-director; Life Sciences Building 105
- Please visit the JAMP Page for more information regarding this program and to book an appointment with Dr. Hale.
CURRENT UTA STUDENTS MENTORS
1-1 appointments: Choose the Peer Mentoring option in the booking options below (Except for UTA Alumni- see contact info in Bio)
- Kayode Aremu
"Hey guys! My name is Kayode Aremu but since we will be friends, you can call me Kay. I am a non-trad pre-med biology major because I finished my first two years/A.S. Degree at Eastfield Community College in Dallas. I was the vice-president and president of the science club at Eastfield. I’m currently a TA for genetics and microbiology, and work in Dr. Betran’s research lab on transposable elements in drosophila melanogaster (PIF-like genes).
I enjoy running, music, photography, climbing, skating, and finding new shows to binge. Looking forward to meeting you, having fun, and exchanging knowledge! It will be my pleasure to be a guide in your journey to medicine."
- Ololade Aremu
Hey guys! My name is Ololade Aremu, but most people call me Lola which is much easier to pronounce. I am a senior Pre-Med Biology major and Biochemistry minor. I am a non-trad transfer student from Eastfield College; a Dallas County Community College District after receiving my Associates Degree. I was involved in the Science club at Eastfield college and was privileged to hold an office in the club twice in the two year I attended. I am a member of the SNMA-MAPS association at UTA, and currently a TA for BIOL-3446 and BIOL-4390. I am also a research assistant in Dr. Betran's lab where we are working on transposable elements (TE) in a species of fly known as drosophila melanogaster. When I am not studying, I enjoy reading, rock climbing, traveling, catching up on my crime or medical shows, and spending quality time with family and friends. Do not hesitate to reach out if you have any question or need help with something. I look forward to hearing from you!
- Luan Do
- “Hey y'all my name is Luan and I’m a pre-med biology major! I’m involved in leadership as the president of HOSA, research in Dr. Clark’s lab, and I work as a scribe in the emergency department of a trauma center. When not in school I like to read, skate, and of course, play video games!"
- Michelle Le
Hey guys! My name is Michelle Le and I’m a pre-med biology major. I serve as the current president of Circle K International and secretary of HOSA. I am also in a research lab, work as a scribe in the emergency department of a trauma center, and tutor BIOL 3315 as a teaching assistant. When I’m not studying, you can find me shooting with my Sony A7III, baking macarons, or rock climbing! Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about the pre-med track, scribing, extracurriculars, or anything else.
- Joanne Mai
- "Hey everyone! My name is Joanne and I am a pre-optometry biology major. I am a member of the Honors College, Pre-Optometry Professional Society, and I have also been a teacher's assistant for BIOL 1333 and 1441. I am currently working in a private optometry practice where I perform pre-testing, collect patient medical case histories, and scribe for the doctor. During my free time I like to teach swimming lessons, listen to music, and catch up on the latest Netflix shows!"
- Eric Rios
- "What’s up everyone! My name is Eric Rios and I am first generation non-traditional senior currently majoring in Kinesiology with a minor in psychology. I am the president of the Pre-PA organization and Co-captain of the UTA Soccer club. In my free time I enjoy playing soccer and dabbling into cars. I am eager to be of use in whatever way I can to assist you all on your path towards your desired health career and look forward to meeting some you!"
- Tiffany Vo
"Hey guys, my name is Tiffany and I’m currently on the pre-med track applying to medical school! I'm the treasurer of HOSA and donation organizer of Chhaupadi. I’m a licensed pharmacy technician that can give immunizations and I also do research in a daphnia lab. In my free time, I like to eat, watch shows, and play the piano! If you have any questions regarding the MCAT or medical school applications, please feel free to contact me. I would be happy to help and look forward to meeting you!"
UTA ALUMNI MENTORS - contact via email listed
Imran Rashik - UNT College of Osteopathic Medicine- OMS3 Fall 21
"Hello all, my name is Imran. I am a second-year medical student in Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM) located at the University of North Texas. Before medical school, I was a pre-med Honors Biology major at UTA. I graduated in 2019. During my time at UTA, I was involved in many activities to become a competitive applicant for medical school, apart from getting good grades and MCAT scores. Some of them include serving as a leader on a campus charity organization, getting research fellowships, being employed as a tutor and resident assistant, getting coveted scholarships and much more.
Now that I am in medical school, I have been able to build strong relationships with the chairs of the internal medicine, geriatrics, and family medicine departments, which allowed me to get more clinical experience, gain research fellowships and win research competitions. I also plan to be on the TCOM admissions committee during third year. I feel I can use the knowledge and connections I have in medical school to help you get a head start in your clinical experience!
I would love to use these experiences to guide you in your pre-med journey at UTA and help you present the best version of yourself to medical admissions committee. Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can set up a chat! Looking forward to hearing from you."
- Diana Sierra - Post Bacc - UNT Med Sci - Fall 21
"Hi!! My name is Diana Sierra and I’m a pre-dental student. I graduated in the Spring of 2019 with a B.S. in Biology. During undergrad, I was part of Pre-Dental Society, & Global Medical Training where I served as Public Relations officer & Vice-President. After graduation, I was part of HPLB (Health Professions Leadership Board Internship) where I worked alongside the pre-health advisor, mentored pre-dental students, and guided pre-health organizations. Currently, I am a student at UNTHSC. I am in their MedSci program and will be graduating in May 2022 with a M.S. in Medical Sciences. After this, dentals school is the goal!
I have learned so much throughout my undergraduate career and from mentors who have helped me! I love sharing my experiences, knowledge & helping in any way I can! I know the journey to become a doctor can be filled with self -doubt, & fear but you will get through it!! Please seek out mentors for support! If you guys have any questions feel free to contact me at DianaSierra@my.unthsc.edu"
- Victor Vasquez - Post Bacc Pre-Med - MS Medical Sciences Texas Tech - Fall 21
- "Hey everyone! My name's Victor and I'm a UTA Alumnus looking to give anyone my best/honest takes on navigating pre-professional journeys. I'm a non-traditional student and can most likely relate to many of you. I currently live in El Paso and I'll be starting school again in Fall 2021. I like traveling when I can, coffee shops, and adventure. On my free time I enjoy reading (mostly non-fiction), strength training, meditating. If I could recommend any book at the moment, it would be Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey.. lots of great takeaways! #justkeeplivin Feel free to contact me at email@example.com!"
- Hailey Phillips - Post Bacc Pre-Dental - Growth Year - Fall 21
- "Nice to see you. I’m a 2020 grad that took a gap year in response to COVID. I am currently shadowing and continuing my volunteer work at Mission Arlington Allan Saxe Dental Clinic from undergrad at UTA. I wake up every day knowing the best days are yet to come! I was president of the Pre-Dental Society and can offer some great advice. Feel fee to reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org or make an appointment for Saturday's 1-4p on the booking page. "
BOOKING AN APPOINTMENT***:
***NOTE: Starting 8/25/21, appointments will have an in-person option on specific days and for specific services. Students will still have the option for virtual options via Microsoft Teams or through email for ALL appointments. Read each description carefully and select the most applicable service.
~Pre-Health Advising for Current Students - This appointment is for current or incoming accepted students that have not completed a Bachelor's Degree, seeking advising on admission requirements, process, and expectations for graduate health professional schools. Nursing students should seek advising from the College of Nursing. (Note: Only your MAJOR advisor can remove academic holds)
*NOTE: THIS OPTION IS NOT FOR POST BACC Students, ESSAY REVIEWS, or MOCK INTERVIEWS. See other options belowCURRENT STUDENTS BOOK HERE
~Pre-Health Advising for Prospective Students (NOT post-bacc) - This appointment is for prospective students that are not current UTA students and have not completed a Bachelor's degree seeking advising on admission requirements, process, and expectations for graduate health professional schools. Nursing students should seek advising from the College of Nursing. For transfer credit information, visit UTA's Transfer Evaluation System Page.PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS BOOK HERE
~Pre-Health Advising for Post-Bacc Students - This appointment is for students that have completed a bachelor's degree that are interested in taking undergraduate courses as a post bacc and want to learn about admission requirements, processes, and expectations of graduate health professional schools. If you took courses at UTA or have been accepted to UTA, include your student ID number. Second Bacc students need to visit their major advisor to remove academic holds. Post-Bacc students should also visit our Post Bacc Page.
*NOTE: THIS IS NOT FOR FOR ESSAY(S) REVIEW OR MOCK INTERVIEWS. See other options belowPOST BACC STUDENTS BOOK HERE
~Peer Mentoring - All pre-health students are encouraged to make an appointment with one of our current pre-health students! They offer general advice on the stressful pre-health path and how to prepare for it since they have been through it!FOR PEER MENTORING BOOK HERE
~Feedback on Essays, Personal Statements, and Application Components - This appointment is for students that are applying to a professional school or special program within the year and would like feedback on application components and/or personal statements & essays. **For personal statement or essay feedback, depending on who you are meeting with, email your document to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org at least 48 business hours prior to the appointment. During HPAC applications, appointments will only be available with Dr. Gellman. HPAC feedback appointments are available with Ms. Hobart after the HPAC review period.FOR FEEDBACK BOOK HERE
~Mock Interview Session -This appointment is for students wanting to practice interviewing for their professional school, JAMP or HPAC Interview. You can scheduled your appointment with Ms. Hobart or Dr. Gellman. During HPAC applications, interviews can only be booked with Dr. Gellman. You can also utilize UTA's Career Center for additional practice including access to a Pre-Health Interview Stream:
Students can access these questions by registering an account on interview stream
Access Code: sRsrv8hyMDpx
~Medical Career Discussions - This informal appointment with Dr. Gellman is to discuss medical training expectations, career interests, and professional practice experiences. He is eager to share his experiences as a board certified practicing family physician for 30 years and discuss the various opportunities in the medical field with you.FOR MEDICAL DISCUSSIONS BOOK HERE