Life Sciences Building, Room 206
501 S. Nedderman Drive
Arlington, TX 76019
Health Professions Advising
The Health Professions Office offers resources for current students and alumni interested in graduate level health professional programs such as medical, dental, pharmacy, physician assistant, optometry, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and veterinary programs. Prior to making an appointment, please visit the FAQ Page. Quick questions are always welcome via email - firstname.lastname@example.org!
Students interested in NURSING, KINESIOLOGY or PUBLIC HEALTH are advised by the College of Nursing and Health Innovation.
HEALTH PROFESSIONS ADVISOR
Sandy Hobart, Life Sciences Building 107A
- All pre-health related advising including post-bacc advising, feedback on essays, mock interviews - Booking links near the end of this page
- HPAC Chair, Pre-Medical Preceptorship Program Coordinator & Co-Instructor
- For limited appointment availability, consider booking with a peer mentor for general advice and questions. Questions via email are also welcome! email@example.com
Dr. Steven Gellman, M.D., MFA, FAAFP; Life Sciences Building 107G
- Medical career discussions, mock interviews, feedback on essays - Booking links near the end of this page
Dr. Gellman may have additional availability. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for special requests
JAMP FACULTY DIRECTOR (JFD)
Dr. Greg Hale, Ph.D., COS Assistant Dean, UTeach Arlington co-director; JAMP Faculty Director (JFD); Life Sciences Building 105
- Visit the JAMP Page for more information regarding this program and to book an appointment with Dr. Hale.
UTA STUDENT PEER MENTORS - (Peer mentoring booking link near end of page)
1-1 appointments: Choose the Peer Mentoring option in the booking options below (Except for UTA Alumni- see contact info in Bio)
- Kayode Aremu
"Hey guys! My name is Kayode Aremu but since we will be friends, you can call me Kay. I am a non-trad pre-med biology major because I finished my first two years/A.S. Degree at Eastfield Community College in Dallas. I was the vice-president and president of the science club at Eastfield. I’m currently a TA for genetics and microbiology, and work in Dr. Betran’s research lab on transposable elements in drosophila melanogaster (PIF-like genes).
I enjoy running, music, photography, climbing, skating, and finding new shows to binge. Looking forward to meeting you, having fun, and exchanging knowledge! It will be my pleasure to be a guide in your journey to medicine."
- Ololade Aremu
"Hey guys! My name is Ololade Aremu, but most people call me Lola which is much easier to pronounce. I am a senior Pre-Med Biology major and Biochemistry minor. I am a non-trad transfer student from Eastfield College; a Dallas County Community College District after receiving my Associates Degree. I was involved in the Science club at Eastfield college and was privileged to hold an office in the club twice in the two year I attended. I am a member of the SNMA-MAPS association at UTA, and currently a TA for BIOL-3446 and BIOL-4390. I am also a research assistant in Dr. Betran's lab where we are working on transposable elements (TE) in a species of fly known as drosophila melanogaster. When I am not studying, I enjoy reading, rock climbing, traveling, catching up on my crime or medical shows, and spending quality time with family and friends. Do not hesitate to reach out if you have any question or need help with something. I look forward to hearing from you!"
- Luan Do
- “Hey y'all my name is Luan and I’m a pre-med biology major! I’m involved in leadership as the president of HOSA, research in Dr. Clark’s lab, and I work as a scribe in the emergency department of a trauma center. When not in school I like to read, skate, and of course, play video games!"
- Michelle Le
"Hey guys! My name is Michelle and I recently graduated in December 2021 with an Honors B.S. in Biology and a minor in Biochemistry. During my undergraduate years, I served as president of Circle K International (CKI) and secretary of HOSA, conducted research through the Honors College, tutored for BIOL 3315 as a teaching assistant, and worked as a medical scribe in the emergency department for 2.5 years. I am taking a gap year to apply for the 2022-2023 application cycle for medical school and currently work as a scribe at a private orthopedic surgery clinic. When I’m not working, you can find me shooting with my Sony A7III, baking macarons, or rock climbing! Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about the pre-med track, scribing, the MCAT, medical school applications, or anything else!"
- Eric Rios
- "What’s up everyone! My name is Eric Rios and I am first generation non-traditional senior currently majoring in Kinesiology with a minor in psychology. I am the president of the Pre-PA organization and Co-captain of the UTA Soccer club. In my free time I enjoy playing soccer and dabbling into cars. I am eager to be of use in whatever way I can to assist you all on your path towards your desired health career and look forward to meeting some you!"
UTA ALUMNI MENTORS (contact via email listed in Bio)
Imran Rashik - UNT College of Osteopathic Medicine- OMS-IV Fall 22
"Hello all, my name is Imran. I am a second-year medical student in Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM) located at the University of North Texas. Before medical school, I was a pre-med Honors Biology major at UTA. I graduated in 2019. During my time at UTA, I was involved in many activities to become a competitive applicant for medical school, apart from getting good grades and MCAT scores. Some of them include serving as a leader on a campus charity organization, getting research fellowships, being employed as a tutor and resident assistant, getting coveted scholarships and much more.
Now that I am in medical school, I have been able to build strong relationships with the chairs of the internal medicine, geriatrics, and family medicine departments, which allowed me to get more clinical experience, gain research fellowships and win research competitions. I also plan to be on the TCOM admissions committee during third year. I feel I can use the knowledge and connections I have in medical school to help you get a head start in your clinical experience!
I would love to use these experiences to guide you in your pre-med journey at UTA and help you present the best version of yourself to medical admissions committee. Feel free to email me at email@example.com and we can set up a chat! Looking forward to hearing from you."
- Benjamin Trammell - UTA Nursing Alum & Post Bacc - UNT College of Osteopathic Medicine- OMS-IV Fall 22
“My name is Benjamin Trammell and I’m a rising third year Medical Student at Texas College of Osteopathic medicine (TCOM). I graduated from UTA in 2015 and worked as a Pediatric RN at 2 of the Children’s hospitals in DFW with my primary background in pediatric trauma. During the time that I was working as a nurse I became inspired by the knowledgeable and compassionate Pediatricians that I worked alongside and ultimately ended up deciding to pursue medicine. I fully understand how daunting the road to medicine can seem when you’re first beginning down this journey. I also want to tell you that it’s both manageable and achievable for you. I have trained new nurses in the field, I have successfully helped pre-nursing students be accepted to the nursing program at UTA and I have also helped several pre-medical students be accepted to Medical School. Whether your questions are about pursuing nursing or medicine I am here to help guide you, listen to you and to assist you in any way that I can. You can reach me by phone at 817-542-4599 or via email - Benjamin.firstname.lastname@example.org and I will correspond back to you as soon as I can.”
Nina Nguyen - Long School of Medicine - MS2 Fall 2022
- Hi everyone! My name is Nina Nguyen, and I am a medical student at the Long School of Medicine (UTHSCSA). I was the first in my family to graduate from college (B.S. Biochemistry at UTA) and graduate school (M.S. Medical Sciences from UNTHSC). I remember being in your shoes at one point. Being pre-med can be difficult, but, with the right people and resources, it can also be thrilling, purposeful, and true to what calls you to medicine. I have mentored a handful of pre-med, pre-PA, and pre-dental students throughout the years, and if you ever have any questions, you can email me at email@example.com. Hobbies: camping, backpacking, art, plants.
- Diana Sierra - Pre-Dental Post Bacc - UNT Med Sci - Fall 21
"Hi!! My name is Diana Sierra and I’m a pre-dental student. I graduated in the Spring of 2019 with a B.S. in Biology. During undergrad, I was part of Pre-Dental Society, & Global Medical Training where I served as Public Relations officer & Vice-President. After graduation, I was part of HPLB (Health Professions Leadership Board Internship) where I worked alongside the pre-health advisor, mentored pre-dental students, and guided pre-health organizations. Currently, I am a student at UNTHSC. I am in their MedSci program and will be graduating in May 2022 with a M.S. in Medical Sciences. After this, dentals school is the goal!
I have learned so much throughout my undergraduate career and from mentors who have helped me! I love sharing my experiences, knowledge & helping in any way I can! I know the journey to become a doctor can be filled with self -doubt, & fear but you will get through it!! Please seek out mentors for support! If you guys have any questions feel free to contact me at DianaSierra@my.unthsc.edu"
- Suman Akhtar -Pre-Med Post Bacc - UNT Med Sci - Fall 21
- "Hi everyone!! My name is Suman Akhtar, and I am a current MS student is the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at UNTHSC in Fort Worth. My end goal is medical school and to become a doctor! I am one of the student ambassadors for my specific MedSci face-face cohort program. I graduated UTA in Fall of 2019, and since then took some gap years to focus on myself, work in the hospital, and shadow different specialties in medicine. I’ve worked as a tutor, a Biology SI leader, and a Research Lab TA. Besides spending time with my family and my dogs (they keep me sane), you can find me meditating, working out, hanging out with my friends, and volunteering at the Heart-to-Heart Hospice Center. But in all honesty, your life is now! Make sure to always take care of yourself and your mental health. This is a marathon, not a race.
- I am a non-traditional student, who’ve had their share of financial issues, self-doubt, anxiety, and I did struggle with my grades. But with that comes perseverance, emotional intelligence, and immense growth. In this journey of becoming a physician it can be very overwhelming and tedious, but I want you guys to know that you are not alone and in the end it will all be worth it! I really want to be able to give back to my fellow peers and share my journey with all of you guys. If there’s any way I can help, any questions about the specific program I am in, any Pre-med advice or just support, feel free to reach me at SumanAkhtar@my.unthsc.edu"
- Victor Vasquez - Pre-Med Post Bacc - MS Medical Sciences Texas Tech - Fall 21
- "Hey everyone! My name's Victor and I'm a UTA Alumnus looking to give anyone my best/honest takes on navigating pre-professional journeys. I'm a non-traditional student and can most likely relate to many of you. I currently live in El Paso and I'll be starting school again in Fall 2021. I like traveling when I can, coffee shops, and adventure. On my free time I enjoy reading (mostly non-fiction), strength training, meditating. If I could recommend any book at the moment, it would be Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey.. lots of great takeaways! #justkeeplivin Feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org!"
- Hayan Park - UT College of Pharmacy - PY4 - Fall 22
- "Hi, y’all! My name is Hayan Park and I am completing my Doctor of Pharmacy at the University of Texas at Austin College of Pharmacy (UTCOP). Please, call me Hayan! I finished my Bachelor of Science in Chemistry major and Biology minor at UTA, and I served as a volunteer coordinator of the Pre-Pharmacy Association for 2 years and as one of the Co-Chairs of the Health Profession Leadership Board on campus. I am currently working as a pharmacy intern at an independent pharmacy and holding a couple of leadership positions at UTCOP. I would be delighted to help with pre-pharmacy students who are pursuing their study and career in the pharmacy field and need help with the application process to the pharmacy school. In addition, I am an international student who went through the immigration and application status as an F-1 Visa student, so for those who need help especially with those issues, please feel free to reach out to me. My email address is email@example.com. Thanks!"
- Joanne Mai - UH College of Optometry - Year 1 - Fall 22
- "Hey everyone! My name is Joanne and I graduated in December 2021 with an Honors B.S. in Biology. I was accepted with scholarships to both UHCO and UIWRSO and I am planning on starting optometry school at UHCO in the fall of 2022! During my undergraduate years, I participated in undergraduate research through the Honors College, was the secretary of the Pre-Optometry Professional Society (POPS), and I was a teaching assistant for BIOL 1333 and 1441. After graduating, I was offered a position as an adjunct assistant professor for the Biology department where I will be teaching labs for BIOL 2457 and 2460. Since the fall of 2019, I have been working at a private practice optometry clinic where I perform pre-testing, collect patient medical case histories, and scribe for the doctors. Throughout my undergraduate years at UTA, I have been able to connect with so many people who have helped me along the way. It is my dream to serve as a guide and motivate students in their pre-health journeys just as others have inspired me! If you have any questions or just want to chat, feel free to reach out via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or direct message me on my optometry Instagram page @eyeamjoanne!"
- Clifford Rodgers -Pre-Med UTA Alum & Post Bacc- UTSW Graduate - Emergency Medicine intern at UTSW Medical Center
- "Hello Mavs! My name is Clifford Rodgers, and I am an incoming Emergency Medicine intern at UT Southwestern Medical Center. I graduated from UTA in 2017 with a B.S. in Biology. I had a very successful medical school application cycle and decided to complete medical school at UT Southwestern Medical School. I will begin EM residency in a few months and would like to help you to reach your goals. I have been successfully mentoring premedical students nationwide with admission to medical school for the past few years. I am very passionate about mentoring and advising the next generation of physicians! To contact me, please visit my website: Dr.Premed (drpremed.com)."
BOOKING AN APPOINTMENT***
***NOTE: As the campus has moved to remote learning through 2/4/22, currently all appointments will be VIRTUAL. Pending pandemic status, starting 2/7/22, appointments will have an in-person option on specific days and for specific services. Students will still have the option for virtual options via Microsoft Teams or through email for ALL appointments. Read each description carefully and select the most applicable service.
~Pre-Health Advising for Current Students - This appointment is for current or incoming accepted students that have not completed a Bachelor's Degree, seeking advising on admission requirements, process, and expectations for graduate health professional schools. Nursing students should seek advising from the College of Nursing. (Note: Only your MAJOR advisor can remove academic holds)
*NOTE: THIS OPTION IS NOT FOR POST BACC Students, ESSAY REVIEWS, or MOCK INTERVIEWS. See other options belowCURRENT STUDENTS BOOK HERE
~Pre-Health Advising for Prospective/Future Students (NOT POST-BACC) - This appointment is for prospective students that are not current UTA students and have not completed a Bachelor's degree seeking advising on admission requirements, process, and expectations for graduate health professional schools. Nursing students should seek advising from the College of Nursing. For transfer credit information, visit UTA's Transfer Evaluation System Page.PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS BOOK HERE
~Pre-Health Advising for Post-Bacc Students - This appointment is for students that have completed a bachelor's degree that are interested in taking undergraduate courses as a post bacc and want to learn about admission requirements, processes, and expectations of graduate health professional schools. If you took courses at UTA or have been accepted to UTA, include your student ID number. Second Bacc students need to visit their major advisor to remove academic holds. Post-Bacc students should also visit our Post Bacc Page.
*NOTE: THIS IS NOT FOR FOR ESSAY(S) REVIEW OR MOCK INTERVIEWS. See other options belowPOST BACC STUDENTS BOOK HERE
~Peer Mentoring - All pre-health students are encouraged to make an appointment with one of our current pre-health students! They offer general advice on the stressful pre-health path and how to prepare for it since they have been through it!FOR PEER MENTORING BOOK HERE
~Feedback on Essays, Personal Statements, and Application Components - This appointment is for students that are applying to a professional school or special program within the year and would like feedback on application components and/or personal statements & essays. **For personal statement or essay feedback, depending on who you are meeting with, email your document to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org at least 48 business hours prior to the appointment. During HPAC applications, appointments will only be available with Dr. Gellman. HPAC feedback appointments are available with Ms. Hobart after the HPAC review period.FOR FEEDBACK BOOK HERE
~Mock Interview Session -This appointment is for students wanting to practice interviewing for their professional school, JAMP or HPAC Interview. You can scheduled your appointment with Ms. Hobart or Dr. Gellman. During HPAC applications, interviews can only be booked with Dr. Gellman. You can also utilize UTA's Career Center for additional practice including access to a Pre-Health Interview Stream:
Students can access these questions by registering an account on interview stream
Access Code: sRsrv8hyMDpx
~Medical Career Discussions - This informal appointment with Dr. Gellman is to discuss medical training expectations, career interests, and professional practice experiences. He is eager to share his experiences as a board certified practicing family physician for 30 years and discuss the various opportunities in the medical field with you.FOR MEDICAL DISCUSSIONS BOOK HERE