Skip to content

The University of Texas at ArlingtonThe University of Texas at Arlington

College of Science

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs for Pre-Health Professional Students

How can I major in pre-med, pre-dental, pre-health, etc.?

Most schools do not offer a "pre-health" major. Students can major in any subject while completing the pre-requisites for the specific professional school. Common majors include Biology, Chemistry, Biological Chemistry, Psychology, Kinesiology, and Biomedical Engineering. Students should choose a major that interests and motivates them to academically excel while considering back up career options. Keep in mind scheduling of the prerequisites may be challenging with some non-science majors.  

Which healthcare career is a good fit for me?

Research and gain an understanding of different healthcare fields! Every student has different interests and strengths. If possible, shadow different healthcare professionals and ask what their day is typically like. There are also several websites and programs that provide great resources: Explore Health Careers, UTA Career Center, SHPEP, Allied Health Career Options 

Who is my advisor?

Pre-Health students seeking a Bachelor's Degree have 2 advisors. A student's main advisor will be their major advisor. The major advisor removes academic holds and helps with class registration. The Health Professions advisor assists with becoming a competative applicant for health professional schools. Pre-Health students that are non-degree seeking or post baccalaureate students have 1 advisor, the Health Professions Advisor. To book an appointment and list of services available visit the Advising Page.  

What are the prerequisite courses for medical, dental, pharmacy, and other health professional schools? 

The prerequisites required vary by program. Common courses include General Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Statistics, Physics, Anatomy & Physiology (for science majors-not Nursing or Kinesiology) Student's should visit the admission’s website of the particular school for a complete list. Additional information regarding prerequisites can be found by visiting your specific pre-health interest page at

What courses are recommended in addition to the prerequisites required?

Most professional schools encourage a well-rounded curriculum with additional upper level sciences. Completing the bare minimum course requirements will rarely portray you as a competitive applicant. Behavioral and upper level sciences such as Psychology, Sociology, Human Anatomy/Physiology, Genetics, Microbiology, Cell Physiology, Immunology, and Virology are typically highly recommended if not already required. Humanities courses such as economics, ethics, medical humanities, foreign languages, philosophy, and public speaking are also valuable. Always check with the specific professional school for the specific requirements and recommended courses.  

What courses at Community College/Dual Credit/AP are accepted? Are they viewed differently than courses taken at the University level?

There are several courses that can be taken at a Community College that are accepted for some pre-health or major prerequisites. While it is understandable why students take courses at a Community College due to financial reasons, it is important to consider how well these courses prepare student's for upper and graduate level courses. University level courses are more rigorous due to pace and content level. Students that complete a majority of their lower level courses at a community college typically struggle with University courses. This can make the transition to a University and course scheduling challenging since only difficult courses are left in the degree plan. This can also apply to AP credit. Some health professional schools may not accept AP credit. Since maintaining a competitive undergraduate GPA and having a good foundation of course content is important, it may be more beneficial to save some, if not all, lower level courses for UTA. Ultimately, only you can decide what works best for you. If you can do well in both Community and University level courses, it should not be an issue. It is not a good idea to take courses at a community college because they are “easier”. Keep in mind the content of these subjects (especially the sciences) will be important for your admissions test and graduate level curriculum. (MCAT, DAT, PCAT, etc.) Students that have already completed a majority of their lower level sciences at a community college are recommended to add a minor to help with scheduling. It will also be beneficial to take additional upper level sciences at the University level to prove the ability to be successful in science heavy courses.

But don’t I need an Associate’s Degree before I can complete my Bachelor’s? 

No. You can complete a Bachelor’s Degree without an Associate’s Degree. If your career goal requires graduate level schooling, it may save time and money to directly complete a Bachelor’s Degree. There is a misconception that obtaining your Associate’s means you only need 2 years of University level courses to obtain your Bachelor’s. This will actually vary depending on your career goal, major, course load, and how transfer courses are evaluated. Scholarships are available to incoming freshman and current students. Visit our Scholarship Website.

How can I become a competative applicant?

While a competative GPA and test score strengthen your chances of acceptance, most schools use a holistic approach in evaluating students. They favor well-rounded mature students that have an understanding of the specific field they intend on studying along with strong soft skills. This is why gaining patient care, shadowing, volunteering and research experiences, along with developing leadership skills are important. Other factors include your personal statement/essays, letters of recommendation, and interviewing skills. All pre-health students should become familiar with AAMC’s Core Competencies. While this was designed for pre-medical students, all pre-health student should aim to excel in these areas.

What is considered a competative GPA?

Most students accepted have GPAs from 3.5-3.8 with medical schools being on the higher end. It is also important to keep your Science GPA (BCMP: Biology, Chemistry, Math, and Physics) high and have a high standardized test score (MCAT, DAT, PCAT, etc.) in order to be a competitive applicant. Always check with the specific professional school for additional data and information. TMDSAS Statistics

What courses count towards my GPA? 

Every undergraduate college level course you have taken will be used in the GPA calculation for most health professional schools. This includes Dual Credit courses. Even if you repeat a course or have “grade forgiveness/substitution”, ALL college course grades are typically taken into account. Several different GPA’s can be evaluated, such as but not limited to Science, Overall, Graduate, and Post Bacc. A postive trend in more recent and diffcult coursework can help offset a rough freshman semester.  


How can I gain clinical experience?

Most professional schools highly recommend (if not expect) direct patient care and healthcare experiences. This is because you can't be sure of what you want to do until you actually experience it! See below for work experience suggestions. Shadowing working professionals in the field is highly recommended. The easiest way to start this is to contact local clinics and see if shadowing is allowed. Start with your own local physician! Join a Pre-Health Organization! Networking is important. Experiences must be post-high school. Students should also visit our Special Programs, Volunteering, Research and Helpful Resources Research Page.

Clinical Experience Examples: emergency medical technician (EMT), paramedic, nurse, scribe, medical assistant, certified nursing assistant (CNA), emergency room technician (ER tech), physical therapist assistant, phlebotomist, pharmacy technician, dental assisting, and clinical research assistant. Most require certification through a program, therefore getting an early start is essential!


Where and when do I apply to a Health Profession School? 

Student should not apply until they are a competative applicant. Commonly, students apply near the end of their junior year or the year prior to expected admission. For some students, this can be senior year or after. Students should become familiar early with the application services  available for their health interest:

Texas Medical, Dental and Veterinary Schools (excluding Baylor, TCU & UIW)   TMDSAS

US Medical Schools & Baylor & TCU (excluding public Texas Schools)           AMCAS

US Dental Schools (excluding Texas)                                             AADSAS

US Osteopathic Schools & UIW (excluding UNT)                             AACOMAS

Physician Assistant Schools                                                          CASPA

Pharmacy Schools                                                                       PharmCAS

Optometry School                                                                        OptomCAS

US Veterinary Schools                                                                  VMCAS

Orthotics & Prosthetics                                                                 OPCAS

Public Health Schools                                                                   SOPHAS

Occupational Therapy & OT Assistant Schools                   OTCAS & OTACAS

Physical Therapy Schools                                                              PTCAS


When should I take my MCAT, PCAT, DAT, GRE, OAT, etc.?

You must take into account the year you plan on entering the professional school, application deadlines, dates the test is offered, and, most important, your level of preparedness. For example, most pre-med students are recommended take the MCAT by April or May of the year they are applying to medical school. (1 year prior to entry year) Pre-Dental students should take the DAT by mid-July if not earlier of thier application year. It is highly recommended to have all courses that are topics on the test completed. Most students start intense preparation at least 3-6 months in advance. Contact your health professions advisor if you are unsure when you should schedule your test.


What is the best way to prepare for my MCAT, PCAT, DAT, GRE, OAT, etc.?

This will depend on your learning style. However, data shows taking and reviewing 8-10 practice tests is very advantageous. Some resources that have been used by our students are listed on the specific pre-health pages of the Health Professions Website. Do your research to choose the best option for you. It is always beneficial to start early (yes, freshaman year) and spread the preparation over several months/years. Do NOT “CRAM”. I encourage students to begin preparing in their General Biology and Chemistry courses.


I already have a baccalaureate degree. Am I required to obtain another degree to be accepted into a professional school?

No. If you have graduated from an accredited US or Canadian School, prerequisites can be completed as a non-degree seeking student, sometimes also referred to as a transient/transfer student. You do have the option of obtaining a second degree. The best choice will depend on your unique situation. Students should visit our Non-Traditional Page for helpful information. International degrees may be accepted by some Health Professional Schools as long as all the prerequisites are completed at an accredited US school. International students should also check with the schools admissions website if international applicants are accepted.


Am I required to have research experience?

Yes and No. Research experience is not required to apply for programs, however, if your school of interest is research heavy or you are interested in PhD Dual Degree programs, then you should have research experience. Even if you are not interested in pursuing a PhD, having research experience can benefit your overall application and is a valuable learning experience. It is significant to learn about the process of being in a research lab, conducting a project, and presenting scientific data. There are several undergraduate research opportunities at UTA.


How do I get into research?

One way is to simply contact professors! It is important to network and get to know your professors. Keep in mind research is important and you should not participate in research just "to be competative". Admissions committees will notice if you used research as a valuable experience or did it only to “help” your application. You can also visit our Special Programs, Volunteering, Research and Helpful Resources Research Page.


Should I join a pre-health student organization?

Yes! It is highly recommended that you join a pre-health student organization on campus. Meetings are usually conducted biweekly. You can find information on volunteering opportunities, workshops, and guest speakers. Also, it is a great opportunity to meet students who are on the same path as you! A list of our organizations can be found on the Health Professions Website.

 What is the Health Professions Advisor Committee (HPAC) and am I required to apply for it?

Depends. HPAC is the opportunity to recieve a "committe" letter of recommendation endorsed by UTA. Most graduate health schools highly recommend (if not require) students to apply to HPAC if their school provides it. Currently, HPAC is available to pre-med and pre-dental students. The HPAC process is meant to help prepare students for their medical or dental school application. If accepted, a letter of recommendation from an HPAC Member is provided. Students apply the same year they are applying to medical or dental school. Applications open in December and close in February. Visit the HPAC Page for additional information.

Should I take a gap year?

The better question is: Are you a competitive applicant ready for graduate school? When applying, you want to be the most prepared and competitive applicant you can be. If you feel that you are ready to be successful graduate student and have a realistic chance of acceptance, apply! If you do not feel ready, a gap year is one of many options that you should consider since if you are rejected, you will be forced to take a gap year. A gap year can be a good thing as long as there is mature reasoning justifying it. Many students choose to take additional classes, complete a Master’s Program, continue gaining healthcare experiences/volunteering, and/or dedicate more time to study for their admission exam.