Non Traditional & Post Bacc Applicants
NON-TRADITIONAL & POST BACCALAUREATE STUDENTS
The number of non-traditional students applying to professional schools has increased over the past few years. While it is important to note most non-traditional students offer life experiences, they must still be able to maintain a high post bacc GPA, have a competitive Admissions Test Score (MCAT, DAT, GRE, etc), and show motivation for the specific heath profession through clinical, volunteer, and leadership experiences expected of traditional students. For additional information, visit the links in the resource section below.
FAQ's & RESOURCES:
- POST-BACC INFORMATION/FAQ
- PRE-HEALTH FAQ
- TMDSAS - Non-Traditional Applicants
- ADEA - Non-Traditional Dental Applicants
- Non-Traditional Applicant Blog
- Special Programs
APPLYING as a POST-BACC STUDENT at UTA
UTA offers an unstructured Post-Bacc Program. Students with a completed Bachelor's degree that want to take pre-medical, pre-dental, pre-pharmacy, pre-PA, etc. coursework at UTA, can do so as non-degree seeking or seeking a second bacc. The classes advised for the post bacc program depends on each students unique situation. This program is ideal for career changers, students that need to complete the majority of prerequisite courses, or already fairly competitive applicants that would like to take additional upper level science courses to show positive trend.
Students will need to apply and be accepted to UTA first as a non-degree seeking student or as a student seeking a second degree. Students seeking a second degree may be eligible for some forms of financial aid if taking at least a half-time course load (6 credit hours per semester). There are no specific requirements for the post-bacc program except for a completed degree and UTA's admission requirements.
- If you have completed a degree and would like to take classes as a post-bacc non-degree seeking student or as seeking a second bacc, please visit ApplyTexas.org and apply to UTA with the Transfer/Readmit Application.
- Post Bacc Students can make an advising appointment on the Advising Page.
ACADEMIC FRESH START
Texas residents may be able to waive credits and grades for courses taken 10 or more years prior to enrollment date. You must apply to UTA as an Academic Fresh Start student. Keep in mind this is an all or nothing option. Students cannot pick and choose which courses to exclude. Students interested in this should visit the Academic Fresh Start Page and UTA's Fresh Start Page.
FORMAL POST BACC PROGRAMS
- UNT - MS in Medical Sciences
- UT Dallas- Certificate in Biomedical Sciences
- Texas Tech-MS in Biomedical Sciences
- Texas Tech - Certificate Program
- AACOMAS - Osteopathic Schools with Post Bacc Programs
- AAMC - Post Bacc Programs
- Texas A&M College of Dentistry Post-Bacc Program
NON-US MEDICAL SCHOOLS
There are reputable Non-Us Schools that may be a great option for non-traditional and international students. Reputable schools are fully accredited, have clinicals in the United States, prepare their students for the USMLE, provide resources to assist students, and have a history of positive residency placement rates. As with any school, it is the students responsibility to do extensive research. International Schools that receive Federal Student Aid.