Skip to content

The University of Texas at ArlingtonThe University of Texas at Arlington

College of Science

Non Traditional & Post Bacc Applicants

Non Traditional & Post Bacc Applicants


The definition of a Non-Traditional Student can vary as every student's path is unique. Non-Traditional Students are typically defined as any student that has had an educational gap(s) prior to entering graduate level school. These students have decided to pursue or continue pursing a professional healthcare career 1+ years after graduating college. Because of this, Non-Traditional Students are usually over the age of 24 and have a completed Bachelor's Degree. These students are also referred to as Post Baccalaureate Students or simply Post-Bacc's.

There are 2 main categories of Post-Bacc students: career changers or academic enhancer's. Most professional health schools accept an undergraduate degree in any major, therefore, career changers can complete the prerequisites required for the specific program without having to get a new degree. Academic Enhancer's have usually already taken the undergraduate prerequisite courses but are needing to improve a low undergraduate GPA. For these students, a specialized master's program is usually recommended as the concern is the ability to be successful in graduate level curriculum. Taking or retaking a few undergraduate courses can show a positive trend, however, it will not raise GPA significantly due to the number of credit hours already completed. Both career changers and academic enhancer's should expect this process to take at least 1.5-2 years as competitive applicants need more than just a high GPA in required courses.

The number of non-traditional students applying to professional schools has increased over the past few years. While it is important to note most non-traditional students work and attend school part time, they must still be able to maintain a high post bacc GPA, have a competitive Admissions Test Score (MCAT, DAT, GRE, etc), and show motivation for the specific heath profession through clinical, volunteer, and leadership experiences expected of traditional students. For additional information, visit the links in the resource section below.  


If you already have an undergraduate degree and want to take your pre-medical, pre-dental, pre-pharmacy, pre-PA, etc. coursework at UTA, you can do so as a post-baccalaureate student (post-bacc). At UTA, our post bacc program is flexible and tailored per each students unique situation. This program is ideal for career changers, students that need to complete the majority of prerequisite courses, or already fairly competitive applicants that would like to take additional upper level science courses to show positive trend. Students will need to apply to UTA first as a non-degree seeking student or as a student seeking a second degree. Students seeking a second degree may be eligible for some forms of financial aid if taking at least a half-time course load (6 credit hours per semester). They are also required to meet Financial Aid Guidelines and complete major classes towards their second degree.

  • If you are a graduate of UTA and you want to come back to UTA, please follow the directions for a Returning Student on the UTA Returning Student Admissions web site.
  • If you are a graduate of another university and you want to come to UTA as a post-bacc seeking a second undergraduate degree, please follow the directions for a Transfer Student on the UTA Transfer Admissions web site.
  • If you are a graduate of another university and you want to come to UTA as a post-bacc non-degree seeking student, please visit and apply to UTA with the Transfer Application.


Texas residents may be able to waive credits and grades for courses taken 10 or more years prior to enrollment date. You must apply to UTA as an Academic Fresh Start student. Keep in mind this is an all or nothing option. Students cannot pick and choose which courses to exclude. Students interested in this should visit the Academic Fresh Start Page and UTA's Fresh Start Page.



There are reputable Non-Us Schools that may be a great option for non-traditional and international students. Reputable schools are fully accredited, have clinicals in the United States, prepare their students for the USMLE, provide resources to assist students, and have a history of positive residency placement rates. As with any school, it is the students responsibility to do extensive research.