PRE-HEALTH ADVISING & SERVICES
HEALTH PROFESSIONS ADVISING
The Health Professions Office offers resources for students interested in graduate level health professional programs such as medical, dental, pharmacy, physician assistant, optometry, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and veterinary programs. Prior to making an appointment, please visit the FAQ Page. Quick questions are always welcome via email - firstname.lastname@example.org!
Students interested in nursing or public health are advised by the College of Nursing.
HEALTH PROFESSIONS ADVISOR
- Sandy Hobart, Life Science Building 107A email@example.com
- All Advising, Feedback on Essays, Mock Interviews
- HPAC Chair, Preceptorship Coordinator
- For limited appointment avaialbility, please consider booking with a peer mentor for general advice and questions.
- Dr. Steven Gellman, MD, MFA, FAAFP, Life Science Building 107G
- Medical Career Discussions, Mock Interviews, Feedback on Essays
Dr. Gellman may have additional availability. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for special requests
JAMP FACULTY DIRECTOR (JFD)
- Dr. Greg Hale, PhD, Life Science Building 105
- Please visit the JAMP Page for more information regarding this program and to book an appointment with Dr. Hale.
- Assistant Dean, College of Science; UTeach Arlington Co-Director
PEER MENTORS: Drop in Chat hours & 1-1 appointments available! - Choose the Peer Mentoring option in the booking options.
- Diana Sierra (DROP IN TEAM CHAT HOURS: M @2-4p)
- "Hi ya'll! My name is Diana and I am a non-traditional post-bacc pre-dental student. During my undergraduate career, I was actively involved in Pre-Dental Society and Global Medical Training. I served as public relations & vice-president of GMT where I was able to learn how to be an efficient leader! Currently I am a HPLB Intern where I get to work alongside the pre-health organizations, coordinate networking events & mentor officers to progress their orgs. I love helping the community by going on mission trips or cooking food for the undeserved. You can catch me volunteering at Mission Arlington or at Velvet Taco during my free time!"
- Luan Do (DROP IN TEAM CHAT HOURS: F @12p-2p)
- “Hey ya’ll my name is Luan and I’m a pre-med biology major! I’m involved in leadership as the president of HOSA, research in Dr. Clark’s lab, and I work as a scribe in the emergency department of a trauma center. When not in school I like to read, skate, and of course, play video games!"
- Joanne Mai (DROP IN TEAM CHAT HOURS: M & W @3p-4p)
- "Hey everyone! My name is Joanne and I am a pre-optometry biology major. I am a member of the Honors College, Pre-Optometry Professional Society, and I have also been a teacher's assistant for BIOL 1333 and 1441. I am currently working in a private optometry practice where I perform pre-testing, collect patient medical case histories, and scribe for the doctor. During my free time I like to teach swimming lessons, listen to music, and catch up on the latest Netflix shows!"
- Hailey Phillips (DROP IN TEAM CHAT HOURS: M-Th @ 12p-1p)
- "Hi! As a junior pre-dental bio major, I'm here for whatever you need. My motto is "100 bad days makes 100 good stories". I am a SHPEP scholar and enjoy volunteering at the Allen Saxe Dental Clinic. I am also employed at Cadmus Dental. You can find me listening to music and running or biking around Arlington."
- Alina Shrestha (DROP IN TEAM CHAT HOURS: Tu & Th @6p-8p)
- "Hi everyone! My name is Alina, currently a senior majoring in exercise science with a minor in biology. I'm here to help/guide you on your pre-health route based on my experiences and what I've learned as a pre-med. My free time usually revolves around painting, exploring new restaurants, and planning upcoming trips. Looking forward to meeting everyone!"
- Sally Subuh (DROP IN TEAM CHAT HOURS: Tu @10a-12p & Th @12p-5p)
- "Hello! My name is Sally and I'm a junior and a pre-med biology major. I'm looking forward to answering any pre-health questions you may have for me. Can't wait to meet our future health professionals!!"
- Victor Vasquez (DROP IN TEAM CHAT HOURS: M & Tu @10a-12p)
- "Howdy! I’m a graduate pre-med "non-traditional" student here at UTA happy to help anyone with questions about pre-health profession routes or about how to navigate through these journeys. On my free time I enjoy playing my ukulele, reading, and being outside/staying active!"
- Tiffany Vo (DROP IN TEAM CHAT HOURS: M & W @ 10a-11a)
- "Hey guys, my my name is Tiffany and I’m a sophomore biology student on the pre-med track! I’m a licensed pharmacy technician with some over the summer experience with scribing. I’m also currently in a research lab and will be volunteering at a hospital soon. On my free time I like to eat, watch shows, and play the piano!"
- Heba Zakaria - (DROP IN TEAM CHAT HOURS: F @11a-1p)
- “Hey! My name is Heba and I’m a Biological Chemistry Major. I am also in the JAMP program and have had experiences in ER scribing, volunteering, shadowing surgeons and physicians in various specialties, and research in Pellegrino’s Lab. Having served as VP of Focus Photography Club and Secretary of SNMA/MAPS, I’ve learned how to become a better mentor and leader. If you have questions about the pre-health track, JAMP, clinical experience, or research, feel free to reach out.”
BOOKING AN APPOINTMENT***:
***NOTE: As of 3/12/20 ALL APPOINTMENTS WILL BE VIA MICROSOFT TEAMS or EMAIL. Read each description carefully and select the most applicable service.
~Pre-Health Advising for Current Students - This appointment is for current or incoming accepted students that have not completed a Bachelor's Degree seeking advising on admission requirements, process, and expectations for graduate health professional schools. Nursing students should seek advising from the College of Nursing. (Note: Only your MAJOR advisor can remove academic holds)
*NOTE: THIS IS NOT FOR FOR ESSAY(S) REVIEW OR MOCK INTERVIEWS. See other options below
~Pre-Health Advising for Prospective Students (NOT POST BACC)- This appointment is for prospective students that are not current UTA students and have not completed a Bachelor's degree seeking advising on admission requirements, process, and expectations for graduate health professional schools. Nursing students should seek advising from the College of Nursing. For transfer credit information, visit UTA's Transfer Evaluation System Page.
~Pre-Health Advising for Post-Bacc Students - This appointment is for students that have completed a Bachelor's degree that are interested in taking undergraduate courses as a post bacc and want to learn about admission requirements, processes, and expectations of graduate health professional schools. If you took courses at UTA or have been accepted to UTA, include your student ID number. Second Bacc students need to visit their major advisor to remove academic holds. Post-Bacc students should also visit our Post Bacc Page.
*NOTE: THIS IS NOT FOR FOR ESSAY(S) REVIEW OR MOCK INTERVIEWS. See other options below
~Peer Mentoring - All pre-health students are encouraged to make an appointment with one of our experienced pre-health mentors! They offer general advice on the stressful pre-health path and how to prepare for it since they have been through it!
~Feedback on Essays, Personal Statements, and Application Components - This appointment is for students that are applying to a professional school or special program within the year and would like feedback on application components and/or personal statements & essays. ***For personal statement or essay feedback, depending on who you are meeting with, email your document to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours prior to the appointment. During HPAC Applications, appointments will only be available with Dr. Gellman. HPAC feedback appointments are available with Ms. Hobart after the HPAC review period.
~Mock Interview Session -This appointment is for students wanting to practice interviewing for their professional school, JAMP or HPAC Interview. You can scheduled your appointment with Ms. Hobart or Dr. Gellman. During HPAC Applications, interviews can only be booked with Dr. Gellman. You can also utilize UTA's Career Center for additional practice including access to a Pre-Health Interview Stream:
Students can access these questions by registering an account on interview stream
Access Code: sRsrv8hyMDpx
~Medical Career Discussions - This informal appointment with Dr. Gellman M.D. is to discuss medical training, career interests, and practice experiences. He is eager to share his experiences as a Board Certified practicing Family Physician for thirty years and discuss varied opportunities for you in the medical field.