Pre-Medical Preceptorship Program
PRE-MEDICAL PRECEPTORSHIP PROGRAM
The Pre-Medical Preceptorship Program allows students the opportunity to shadow practitioners affiliated with THR’s Arlington Memorial Hospital while tying in academic components for course credit. The program is open to all current UTA undergraduate, post-baccalaureate and master’s students from any major with an interest in medicine. Students are selected through a competitive application process.
- A minimum of 60 earned credit hours (not in progress but completed by start of Preceptorship Term)
- A minimum Overall GPA of 3.4. For Post-Baccalaureate students, a minimum UTA post-bacc GPA of 3.6
- Must be a currently enrolled UTA student AND have completed at least 1 full semester at UTA
- Must have completed BIOL and CHEM 1441 & 1442 or equivalent. Preference given to students with strong science backgrounds
- Demostrated a motivation towards medicine through healthcare related work, volunteering, or shadowing experiences after high school
- Has not received an acceptance, applied, or plan to apply in the current medical school cycle
- A well-articulated motivation toward medicine as presented in a personal statement
- The ability to engage in learning outside of the classroom as demonstrated by curiosity and communication with instructors/preceptors
Students are registered for a 3 hour Journal Club course by the Program Coordinator after acceptance into the program. The course is scheduled for 1 day week. (BIOL 3348) Course credit can be applied as elective credit for most degree plans but should be reviewed with your advisor. Please keep in mind that tuition and fees must be paid by the student. Students are required to complete a minimum of 60 shadowing hours during the term along with attending and participating in the academic portion of the weekly course. Keep this in mind when registering for classes.
- Application Deadline: October 13th @ 11:59pm CST
- Application Review: Week of October 14th
- Applicants notified for an Interview: Tentative- October 21st
- Interviews: Tentative - Week of November 4th or 11th
- NOTE: Interviews are typically offered on 1 day during the morning and last appx 10-15 minutes.
- Candidates notified of acceptance: Tentative - Week of November 11th
- MANDATORY Journal Club - Meets Mondays at 3-3:50pm
Applications open for Spring 2020 on Monday September 2nd and close October 13th @ 11:59PM CST
To apply, click: Spring 2020 Application