Pre-Medical Preceptorship Program
PRE-MEDICAL PRECEPTORSHIP PROGRAM
The Pre-Medical Preceptorship Program allows students the opportunity to shadow practitioners affiliated with THR’s Arlington Memorial Hospital and John Peter Smith Hospital (starting Fall 20) while tying in academic components for course credit. The program is open to all current UTA undergraduate, post-baccalaureate and master’s students from any major with an interest in medicine. It is intended for students pursing medical or physician assistant programs that do not already have signifiant experience in the medical field. Students are selected through a competitive application process.
- A minimum of 60 earned credit hours (not in progress but completed by start of Preceptorship Term)
- A minimum Overall GPA of 3.4. For Post-Baccalaureate students, a minimum UTA post-bacc GPA of 3.6
- Must be a currently enrolled UTA student AND have completed at least 1 full semester at UTA
- Must have completed BIOL and CHEM 1441 & 1442 or equivalent. Preference given to students with strong science backgrounds
- Demostrates a motivation towards medicine through healthcare related work, volunteering, or shadowing experiences after high school
- Is not (or will not be) an applicant in the current medical/pa school cycle (2020-2021) during the preceptorship term
- A well-articulated motivation toward medicine as presented in a personal statement
- The ability to engage in learning inside and outside of the classroom as demonstrated by curiosity and communication with instructors/preceptors
- Must have reliable transportation to and from assigned hospital site with availability on some weekday mornings
Students are registered for a 3 hour Journal Club course by the Program Coordinator after acceptance into the program. The course is scheduled for 1 day week. (BIOL 3348) Course credit can be applied as elective credit for most degree plans but should be reviewed with your advisor. Please keep in mind that tuition and fees must be paid by the student. Students are required to complete a minimum of 50 shadowing hours (typically on weekday mornings) during the term along with attending and participating in the academic portion of the weekly course. Keep this in mind when registering for classes.
- Application Deadline: 3/22/20
- Application Review: Tentative-week of 3/23/20
- Applicants notified for an Interview: TBD
- Interviews: Tentative - TBD
- NOTE: Interviews are typically offered on 1 day during the morning and last appx 10-15 minutes.
- Candidates notified of acceptance: TBD
- MANDATORY Journal Club - Meets Mondays at 3-3:50pm in LS 128
Applications open for Fall 2020 on Monday, February 3rd, 2020
To apply, click: FALL 20 Preceptorship Application