Pre-Medical Preceptorship Program
PRE-MEDICAL PRECEPTORSHIP PROGRAM
The Pre-Medical Preceptorship Program allows students the opportunity to shadow practitionars affiliated with THR’s Arlington Memorial Hospital while tying in academic components for course credit. The program is open to all current UTA undergraduate, post-baccalaureate and master’s students from any major with an interest in medicine. Students are selceted through a competitive application process.
The following criteria is required for students who wish to be considered for the program:
- A minimum of 60 earned credit hours (not in progress but completed by start of Preceptorship Term)
- A minimum Overall GPA of 3.4. For Post-Baccalaureate students, a minimum UTA post-bacc GPA of 3.6
- A strong foundation in the sciences as displayed by credit hours earned
- A minimum of 50 hours of participation in prior healthcare-related shadowing, clinical experience, volunteer, or work experiences post high school
- Have not received an acceptance, applied, or plan to apply in the current medical school cycle (2019-2020 cycle)
- A well-articulated motivation toward medicine as presented in a personal statement
- The ability to engage in learning outside of the classroom as demonstrated by curiosity and communication with instructors/preceptors
Students are registered for a 3 hour Journal Club course when they are accepted into the program by the program coordinator. The course is scheduled for 1 day week. (BIOL 3348) Course credit can be applied as elective credit for most degree plans but should be reviewed with your advisor. Please keep in mind that tuition and fees must be paid by the student. Students are required to complete a minimum of 60 shadowing hours during the term along with attending and participating in the academic portion of the weekly course. Keep this in mind when registering for classes.
Applications are open for Spring 2020 on Monday September 2nd and close October 13th @ 11:59PM CST
To apply, click: Spring 2020 Application