Off-Campus Work-Study FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions


Off campus Work-Study, offered through both federal and state Work-Study programs, gives students an opportunity to work off campus and provides employers the opportunity to work with UTA students, whose wages are subsidized through the program. This program allows students to earn money for expenses associated with higher education, explore potential career fields, and gain both hard and soft skills while earning their degree. Employers are connected to talented UTA students and can employ them for reduced costs.
Any student who has demonstrated financial need after filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If a student has been awarded with Work-Study and accepted all or part of their allotment, they will have a Work-Study Eligibility form. Please ask your student worker for this form to ensure that they are eligible.
Certain designated tutoring positions (in schools, community centers, or non-profits) will be reimbursed 100% of student wages; Community Service Positions, in Non-profits or government agencies, will be reimbursed 75% of student wages; and for-profit companies will be reimbursed 50% of student wages.
To become an off-campus partner, each organization must fill out and submit the Contract Packet and the Vendor Supplier Information Form. These forms may be obtained by calling the Career Development Center at (817) 272-2932, or by emailing Once these forms are submitted, the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will ensure that the agency has good standing with the Texas State Comptroller’s Office. Organizations will also be required to schedule an initial site visit from the Work-Study Coordinator before the contract will be approved.
Federal and State Work-Study students may work no more than 19 hours per week. Students and employers will determine the student’s schedule together, based upon the student’s availability. Students may not work during times that they are scheduled to be in class. Students may not work more than 8 hours per day.
Student workers must be paid at least the state minimum wage, which is currently $7.25 per hour. Students could earn more than this, if the agency chooses. The student worker must be paid what is “appropriate and reasonable according to the type of work performed” (6-43). Students must be paid hourly and cannot receive benefits.

The supervisor at the agency must sign the student’s timesheet and submit the original copy to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Their address is as follows:

Attn: Work Study Coordinator
Office of Financial Aid, Scholarships, & Veteran Benefits
The University of Texas at Arlington
701 S. Nedderman Dr., 252 Davis Hall, Box 19199
Arlington, TX 76019-0199