Work-Study Positions & FAQs

Find out how to make your work-study award work for you.

Work-Study Positions

Work-study is a federal and state student aid program that provides opportunities for part-time employment while you are enrolled in school to help pay your education expenses.

  • The Office of Financial Aid manages your work-study award. Please contact their office or check your MyMav to see if you are receiving an award. You must accept your work-study award to be able to see work-study positions in Handshake.
  • Participation is optional; in other words, just because you accepted a work-study award as part of your financial aid package does not mean you are under any obligation to work in a work-study position.
  • You must seek out and apply for work-study jobs.
  • You will be paid directly for the hours you work and the amount you earn cannot exceed the total amount awarded by UTA for the award year.
  • The availability of work-study jobs varies by semester.
  • Undergraduate students are automatically considered for work-study by the Office of Financial Aid based on their eligibility for need-based financial assistance from the university.
  • Graduate students who wish to receive a work-study award must apply for it directly through the Office of Financial Aid.
  • If you have questions about the status or details of your work-study award, contact the Office Financial Aid.

Like all student positions, Work-Study positions are found through Handshake. You can easily search for on-campus and off-campus work-study positions; consult this handout for more information on filtering options. The job title will denote if a position is work-study. Having a work-study award does not limit you to working in only work-study positions - you can apply for non-work-study positions as well. As you apply to work-study positions, you will be required to attach your Work-study Eligibility Form to your application. For information on how to access this form, review these steps. (PDF – How to Access Your Work-Study Eligibility Form)

We encourage you to look for positions as early as you can, as it may be more difficult as the year progresses. Please note, many positions are only hired during specific times of year so be sure to check back frequently to see what positions are open.

We recommend you stop by the Career Development Center or make an appointment with a Career Consultant through Handshake for help with resumes, cover letters, and interview preparation to make sure you're putting your best foot forward on each application. You’ll increase your chances of success in finding a position by making sure you are prepared for the application process.

Participating in part-time employment during your college years can help you gain a variety of experiences and learn workforce skills that can be used in a full-time career after graduation. These opportunities are conveniently located on or near campus, help you to make connections with UTA faculty and staff, and are encouraged to be accommodating to your academic schedule and related needs.

On-campus work-study positions can be found in nearly any UTA department, office, institute, or center. Positions include research, administrative assistant, project assistant, communications and marketing, tutoring, and more. On-campus positions are conveniently located and can help you broaden your connections to the UTA community.

Search for work-study jobs from on-campus departments in Handshake using the job type "On-Campus” and then checking the “Work-Study” box, too.

We offer a unique opportunity to utilize your work-study award at pre-approved off-campus non-profits and government organizations that have applied and been selected to participate. You have the opportunity to earn your work-study award at sites like Kids-U, InspirED, City of Arlington, YMCA and more.

Search for work-study jobs from off-campus organizations on Handshake typing “Work-Study” in the search bar and then looking for our off-campus partner organizations open positions. You can also filter for “Work-Study” jobs and then look for positions that do not have UTA in the title.

Frequently Asked Questions