Policies & FAQs

Ensure your student employment experience is a positive one by knowing these important policies.

Student Employment Policies

Your wage is determined directly by your employer. Departments are required to pay you at least the minimum wage, which is $7.25 per hour.

During your employment, you will receive an hourly wage for the time you work. You do not get paid for time spent commuting to and from your job. Your department may not add hours to your timecard as a way to pay you for a "bonus" or as part of an "early release" rule; this is considered misrepresentation of your working hours and is illegal. Your supervisor will determine the protocol for short breaks during working hours.

Time reporting for student positions is done through TimePro, UTA’s timekeeping system. You should clock in each time you start working and clock out each time you stop. Additionally, you are advised to keep a personal written record of your hours worked to provide a reference in the case of discrepancies or confusion. The working hours that you record through TimePro translates directly into your paycheck - therefore, it is crucial to record your time accurately.

You can view your timecard by using the instructions provided by Payroll Services. Please note, you cannot edit your timecards - all timekeeping must be done in real time. If you forget to clock in or out, notify your supervisor immediately so your department's timekeeper can make the necessary corrections to your timecard. It is a violation of the terms of your employment to misuse TimePro and/or misrepresent your work hours and can result in termination and/or disciplinary action through UTA’s student conduct process.

If you have multiple positions on campus you must be very careful to clock in appropriately. If you have multiple student employment positions, consult your UTA employment information to determine which is your primary or secondary position.

UTA is migrating to TimeClock Plus in summer 2021 for all time reporting. For updates, training, and questions relating to TimeClock Plus, please refer to the project website by clicking here.

Your paycheck is issued on a semi-monthly basis following UTA’s Semi-Monthly Payroll Calendar. Use the payroll calendar to understand each semi-monthly pay date and the corresponding work dates included in that paycheck. You may notice that it takes up to one month to receive your first paycheck when you start your employment - this is due to how the payroll cycle functions and is the case across the university. If you have multiple student employment positions, you are issued a single paycheck for the combined jobs’ earnings.

Direct Deposit

It is strongly recommended you sign up for direct deposit so your paycheck can be electronically deposited into your bank account(s). This is the easiest, safest, most reliable, and preferred method to receive your pay. To sign up for direct deposit, fill out the direct deposit form through UT Share under the Employment Information tab. You can enroll in direct deposit at any time during your employment.

Direct deposit can take up to two weeks to take effect, but you will receive paper paychecks until then. You will receive an email notification from Payroll Services each time your paycheck is directly deposited.

Paper Checks

If you do not have direct deposit (or if you have enrolled, but the information has not yet been processed by Payroll Services) you will need to pick up your paycheck from the front desk of Payroll Services, located in the Wetsel Building, 1225 West Mitchell Street, Arlington, TX 76019. Please contact Payroll Services at 817-272-5426 to confirm available times for pickup. You must show photo identification to pick up your paycheck.

All student employment positions (including Federal Work-Study positions) are subject to federal and local taxation. The amount of tax withheld from your paycheck is determined by how you fill out your tax withholding forms when you start your employment. Student Employment can assist you in understanding how to fill out the tax forms but cannot legally advise you on what to claim or estimate how much tax will be withheld from your paycheck. Please speak to a family member or tax professional if you need personal advice on your tax withholding forms.

If you need to make changes to your tax forms, you may submit updated tax withholding forms through the UT Share or make changes with the Office of Talent, Culture, and Engagement. Taxes that have been withheld from your paycheck can only be recovered by filing an annual tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

It is the policy of The University of Texas at Arlington to provide an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, and/or veteran status.

The University also prohibits discrimination on the basis of gender identity and gender expression. Retaliation against persons who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge of discrimination, or testify for, assist in, or participate in an investigative proceeding relating to discrimination is prohibited. Constitutionally protected expression will not be considered discrimination or harassment under this policy. It is the responsibility of all departments, employees, and students to ensure the University's compliance with this policy.