Graduate Financial Aid

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available for graduate students to complete in order to receive federal and state financial aid. Graduate students should follow the same application process and must meet the same eligibility requirements as undergraduate students to apply.

Graduate students also have opportunities available through the Office of Graduate Studies and through most academic departments to receive financial support.


While graduate students are not eligible to receive the Federal Pell Grant, there are other options for financial aid available by submitting a FAFSA:

  • Mav Grant and Texas Public Education Grant: For both residents and non-residents, these grants are offered on a first-come, first-served basis to students with qualifying need. A small number of these grants are available to students participating in the Accelerated Online Program.
  • Federal TEACH Grant: This grant is available to undergraduate and graduate students who plan to teach in designated shortage teaching areas at low income Title I schools. The student must teach at least four out of the eight years upon graduating or ceasing to be enrolled. Students may receive up to $3,772 per year, but the grant reverts to an Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loan if the teaching obligation is not met. For more information, visit the UTA College of Education's Teach Grant webpage.
  • Federal Student Loans: Graduate students are eligible to receive up to $20,500 in Federal Direct Unsubsidized student loans each year. Visit our loans section to learn more about the loan process, or visit our repayment if you have concerns about borrowing additional loans for graduate school.
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loans:  A PLUS loan is a credit-based loan offered by the U.S. Department of Education to graduate students in addition to the unsubsidized loans offered from the FAFSA. Students may borrow a PLUS loan up to their estimated cost of attendance, minus any other financial aid. Visit our PLUS Loan section for more information and to learn how to apply.


The University of Texas at Arlington Graduate Studies provides financial support to graduate students through:

  • Scholarships: Visit Mav ScholarShop, the Outside Scholarships page, or contact your department to apply for scholarship opportunities.
  • Graduate Fellowships: Fellowships are granted yearly in the fall term. Fellows are nominated by their graduate advisor or by application, depending on the department. Each Fellow must meet criteria set forth by the Graduate School. Learn more about Graduate Fellowship opportunities on our Graduate Fellowships page.
  • Graduate Research Assistant positions: Students are hired by their department to contribute, with supervision, to a research program within or between departments. Research projects vary and may include work that is part of a faculty member’s ongoing research, a grant-funded project, or other sponsored research
  • Graduate Teaching Assistant positions: Students are hired by their department to support instructional activities within the department. Responsibilities may include grading, assisting professors in conducting lecture classes or laboratory courses, and teaching lower-level undergraduate courses.

To learn more about Fellowship and Assistantship opportunities or to download any required forms and applications, please visit Office of Graduate Studies website.

Interested in a Fellowship or Assistantship?

students gathered around computer

There are many different opportunities available. Visit the Graduate Studies website to learn more.

Explore the Opportunities