University Administration Building, Rooms 201 & 252
701 S. Nedderman Drive • Arlington, TX 76019
Toward Excellence, Access, and Success Grant (TEXAS Grant)
Note: FAFSA and TAFSA priority deadline is January 15th.
TEXAS Grant is available to undergraduate students who are Texas residents and meet both specific academic criteria as well as demonstrated financial need. The FAFSA and TASFA applications serve as the TEXAS Grant application, no other forms are required. Eligible students are automatically considered on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are no longer available.
TEXAS Grant eligibility requirements:
- Register with Selective Service or be exempt.
- Demonstrate financial need, priority to students with a FAFSA/TASFA Expected Family Contributions (EFC) of 6,234 or less.
- Be a Texas resident for tuition and fee purposes.
- Have not been convicted of a felony or offense under chapter 481, Health & Safety Code.
- The full TEXAS Grant amount disburses at 12 or more credit hours (full-time enrollment) and is prorated down at 9 credit hours (three-quarter enrollment). Less than 9 credit hours is not eligible.
- Have no previous baccalaureate degree.
There are four pathways for which a student may be eligible to receive a TEXAS Grant:
INCOMING FRESHMAN PATHWAY:
- Graduate from an accredited public or private high school in Texas, and
- Enroll at UTA within 16 months of graduation having not already attempted more than 30 credit hours (excluding credits from dual enrollment and by examination)
NOTE: Priority will be given to incoming freshman who meet two out of the four academic requirements listed below:
|Advanced Academic Program||
*For additional information on high school graduation requirements, visit the Texas Education Agency website or contact TEA's Curriculum Standards and Student Support Division at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resource: Graduation Requirements
TRANSFER STUDENT WITH AN ASSOCIATE DEGREE PATHWAY:
- Earn an associate degree from a Texas college, and
- Enroll at UTA within 12 months of earning associate degree.
TRANSFER WITHOUT AN ASSOCIATE DEGREE PATHWAY:
- Transfer to UTA with at least 24 credit hours and 2.5 transfer GPA, and
- Receive an initial TEOG Grant (Texas Education Opportunity Grant) in Fall 2014 or later at previous college, OR TEXAS Grant and have remaining eligibility.
HONORABLE MILITARY DISCHARGE PATHWAY:
- Enroll within 12 months of being honorably discharged, and enlistment must have occurred within 12 months after graduation from an accredited Texas high school on May 1, 2013 or later, and
- Student must not have attempted more than 30 credit hours (excluding credits for dual enrollment or examination).
ACADEMIC RENEWAL REQUIREMENTS
At the end of the first year receiving the TEXAS Grant, a student must be meeting institutional SAP policy.
At the end of the second year and beyond, a student must maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA and complete 24 credit hours each academic year (dropped/failed/incomplete courses do not count as completed).
- If a student falls short of 24 hours or 2.5 GPA after the Fall/Spring semesters, they may take courses during the following summer semester here at UTA or another college to make up any shortfall.
MAXIMUM TIME FRAMES
|Pathway||Years of Eligibility||Maximum Attempted Credits Upon Entering UTA||Maximum Lifetime Attempted Credits Allowed**|
Initial Recipient by:
|5 years from the first semester awarded||150||150|
Initial Recipient by:
|3 years from the first semester awarded||90||150|
**Attempted hours are defined as every course in every semester for which a student registered by the official census dates. This includes repeated courses, dropped and withdrawn courses, transfer credits and dual credit. Credit for internship and cooperative education are included if accepted and counted towards the student's current program of study. This cannot be appealed.
Eligibility ceases upon earning a baccalaureate degree or reaching maximum allowed credits, whichever comes first.
The TASFA application serves as the application for the TEXAS Grant program for a Dreamer/undocumented student. All TEXAS Grant eligibility requirements apply to TASFA applicants. For more information, please visit our Undocumented/DACA Student page.
If you have any questions about the TEXAS Grant program, contact our office by emailing TEXASGrant@uta.edu. Please include your name and UTA ID number (if you have one).
Tarrant To & Through (T3) Partnership
The T3 Partnership is proud to serve eligible Fort Worth ISD students with personalized support programs and potential scholarship opportunities.