Up to $3,772 per year


To receive a TEACH Grant you must (1) Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen. (2) Be enrolled as an undergraduate, or graduate student in a Master's program. (3) Be admitted to The University of Texas at Arlington College of Education and currently enrolled in course work that is necessary to begin a career in teaching. (4) Have at least a 3.25 cumulative grade point average in UTA cumulative GPA, (5) Complete the TEACH Grant Initial and Subsequent Counseling, and (6) Complete the TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve or Repay (Agreement).

In exchange for receiving a TEACH Grant, you must agree to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a Title I elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students. As a recipient of a TEACH Grant, you must teach for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which you received a TEACH Grant.

Interested students may view additional TEACH Grant information on the Federal Student Aid website: You may direct TEACH Grant questions concerning academic eligibility to the College of Education Advising Office,

Application Procedure

Through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, Congress created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program that provides grants to students who intend to teach in a Title I elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.  Students may receive up to $3,772 per year, but the grant reverts to an Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loan if the teaching obligation is not met.

If, after reading TEACH Grant Facts above, you believe you are eligible for this TEACH Grant Program, you should (1) Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), (2) Fill out the application below, and (3) allow up to 2 weeks to receive your eligibility status via email.




Federal TEACH Grant: This grant is available to undergraduate and graduate students who plan to teach in designated shortage teaching areas at low income Title I schools. The student must teach at least four out of the eight years upon graduating or ceasing to be enrolled. Students may receive up to $3,772 per year, but the grant reverts to an Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loan if the teaching obligation is not met.


Q: What is meant by “academic eligibility”?

A: The designated College of Education advisor(s) checks your academic eligibility, which includes 1) ensuring you are admitted to/enrolled in one of the eligible high-need programs listed on the application and 2) having at least a 3.25 GPA.

If academically eligible, your information is sent to the Financial Aid office where they check your aid eligibility - that you’ve completed the Agreement to Serve or Repay, Initial/Subsequent Counseling, and FAFSA.

Q: What GPA is used to determine academic eligibility?

A: For undergraduate students, your UTA cumulative GPA is used. If you have not yet earned grades at UTA, the overall transfer GPA is used.

For graduate students, your UTA cumulative graduate GPA is used. If you are a new student, your admission GPA is used until you begin earning grades at UTA. The admission GPA is usually taken from the Last 60 hours of undergraduate work.

Q: If I receive the TEACH Grant but my GPA drops below the required 3.25, will I lose the TEACH Grant?

A: If your GPA drops below 3.25 at the end of a semester, you will not be eligible to receive funds in the next semester. You will need to reapply for the TEACH Grant once your GPA has reached the requirement again.

Q: Am I automatically renewed every year?

A: No. You must apply for the TEACH Grant every year you wish to receive it. You must also complete the Agreement to Serve or Repay, as well as the Initial and Subsequent Counseling each year.

page1image43016528 page1image43016736

Q: When should I reapply for the TEACH Grant

A: To renew, you should apply the 2nd week in April.

Q: Do my previous years of teaching count toward my service obligation?

A: No. The TEACH Grant is an incentive to increase the amount of highly qualified teachers who teach in high-need fields. Your service obligation doesn’t begin until after you finish the program for which the TEACH Grant is given or you cease to be enrolled in that program.

Q: Must I teach 4 years every time I renew my application?

A: The service obligation is 4 years for the entire program. You must complete one four- year service obligation for all TEACH Grants you receive for undergraduate study, and one four-year service obligation for all TEACH Grants you receive for graduate study.

Q: Will the TEACH Grant cover 100% of my tuition?

A: No. The TEACH Grant will not cover all of your tuition and fees? The maximum annual amount that could be awarded is usually between $3600-$3800, depending on the amount approved and sequestered each year (amount updates in October).


$3,772 (Oct. 2021-Sept. 2023)


Graduate Students


Hours per Semester Scheduled Amount
3 $471.50
6 $943
9 $1,886
page2image43500144 page2image43500768 page2image43501184 page2image43501808 page2image43501600 page2image43501392 page2image43500976page2image43502848 page2image43503056


Q: If I haven’t received the maximum annual amount but I am about to graduate, can I receive the difference?

A: No. The amount of TEACH Grant funds awarded is based on the number of hours you are taking in a semester. You won’t be awarded anything more than the scheduled amount.

Q: Do I have to be at least half-time to receive the TEACH Grant?

A: No. You may be enrolled in 3 hours and still receive funding.

Q: How can I determine if my school is considered Title I or Low Income?

A: You may view the updated listings of all Title I Schools on the Teacher Cancellation Low-Income Directory:


Q: I am a freshmen and I plan to be admitted to the ESL education program in my junior year. Can I apply for the TEACH Grant now?

A: No. If you are not officially admitted to one of the eligible programs listed on the application, you should not apply for the TEACH Grant at this time.

Q: I am currently a certified 4th grade Math Teacher but am pursuing the graduate Principal Certification Only program. Since I am currently teaching in a high-need area, am I eligible for the TEACH Grant?

A: No. You must be pursuing one of the high-need programs to be considered for the TEACH Grant. The Principal Cert-Only program is not high-need and is not degree- seeking.

Q: If I wish to cancel the TEACH Grant after I receive it but before I use it, what should I do? 

A: You must contact Financial Aid and alert their office.

Q: How do I request that the TEACH Grant be converted to an unsubsidized loan?

A: If you no longer intend to satisfy your service obligation, you may request to have your TEACH Grant converted to a Direct Unsubsidized Loan in your account through the TEACH Grant Servicer MOHELA.

Q: How long do I have after graduating from my program to complete the 4-year service obligation?

A: You have 8 years after you’ve graduated from, or have ceased being enrolled in, the TEACH Grant-eligible program. If you do not complete the 4-year obligation, the grant is converted to a loan, accruing interest from the point in which you initially received the TEACH Grant.

Q: Can I extend the 8-year term for completing the 4-year service obligation?

A: It is possible to suspend temporarily the 8-year period if you meet certain requirements. You can find those requirements here:

Q: How do I begin documenting my service years after I graduate?

A: The Agreement to Serve or Repay and Subsequent Counseling discusses this process: You can also find important information on the TEACH Grant Servicer’s page (MOHELA):

 page3image43072544page3image43072336 page3image43072128

Q: I received the TEACH Grant for the Literacy Studies program. Will my position as Literacy Coach suffice for the service obligation?

A: This would be part of the certifying/documenting your service obligation process. You’ll do this with the TEACH Grant Servicer MOHELA.


Useful Links

UTA Financial Aid -


Federal Student Aid (TEACH Grant) -

MOHELA (TEACH Grant Servicer) -

Teacher Cancellation Low-Income Directory (Title I Schools) -