The following requirements must be met to be approved for principal certification.
- Holds or has held a standard teacher certificate.
- Has had a minimum of two creditable years of classroom teaching experience. A teacher service record must sent from the school district directly do the director of certification via US Postal Service. Creditable years is defined as having been completed in an accredited school district. Out of state teaching experience may qualify provided it was done within a school accredited by that state.
- Holds a Master's degree. The degree must be conferred, which can take several weeks after graduation.
- Has completed an approved administrative practicum.
- Has completed an approved program designed for meeting the certification requirements. All coursework must be completed and grades must be posted.
- Has passed the TExES Standard Principal Certificate Exam (limit of four retakes).