Skip to content. Skip to main navigation.

F A Q questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Residence Hall roommates

  • How do I find a roommate? 

    Returning students most often find roommates on their own. While living on campus during their first semester, residents will have a network of friends to choose from. Upperclassmen are able to renew into a room that is mutually agreed upon by both roommates during the annual renewal period.

    All students that did not pick their own room through the renewal process are assigned roommates based on the roommate profile questionnaire filled out during the application process. This matches students based on similar responses in order to find the best matches. This results in students having common interests that lead to life-long friendships.

    Incoming freshmen meet prospective roommates during New Maverick Orientation or other times on campus prior to their arrival. The challenge incoming freshman have to consider is to find a student that has accepted the same residence hall AND the same type of room (double or private room). We encourage students to post on our University Housing Facebook Page searching for a roommate.  

  • When will I find out who my roommate is? 

    We send out roommate notification emails in early August each semester after we feel confident students who signed contracts to live with us still intend on moving in. It is important to note that roommates do occasionally change after notifications are sent out. We will try to notify you of any changes as time allows. 

  • Why did I not get my desired roommate? 

    Every situation is a little different but generally, we match all students that mutually request each other. Requests from students that both request to live together but were assigned different rooms most often are a result of mismatched room types or residence halls. For example, one student accepted a double room and the other student accepted a private room, or one student has a contract for Arlington Hall and the other student has a different residence hall contract. The rent for each room type and hall is different, so our general policy is to not move students to a different rental rate once they accept and sign a contract. Additional factors preventing us from matching roommates may include, but not limited to, involvement in the Freshman Interest Group (FIG) program, different majors within the FIG program, or multiple/different roommate requests submitted. There are, however, options to change rooms and live with your desired roommate after you move into the residence hall. 

  • What are my options for changing rooms? 

    For Contracts Beginning August through December:

    Roommate notifications will be available in the Housing Application approximately two (2) weeks prior to move in. You will receive an e-mail to your UTA e-mail when this information is available. Room and Roommate assignments are subject to change without notice for a variety of reasons including student cancellation, consolidation, etc.

    Prior to July 31:

    If you HAVE selected a room:
    Use the room/hall change request form in the Housing Application (opens mid-April)

    Select Resident Forms > Hall/Room Type Change/Roommate Request
    If you have NOT selected a room:
    Use the Housing Application to search and match with roommates

    After July 31:

    Requests will not be accepted until move in day. At that time, you may request a change as follows:

    If you would like to request a roommate or change rooms within your Residence Hall, please visit the front desk of your Hall to request this change.
    If you are requesting to change to a different Residence Hall or room type, use the room/hall change request form in the Housing Application (opens mid-April)

    Select Resident Forms > Hall/Room Type Change/Roommate RequestRequests will not be processed until the third (3rd) week of the fall semester. This allows us to verify who has and has not moved in as well as to house students who do not have housing.


  • How are the apartments leased?? 

    Unfurnished Apartments

    All unfurnished apartment community leases are offered to students in the order of application on a first-come, first-serve basis. Students that are on a wait list, will be offered a lease based upon availability.

    Apartment leases are for the period of 12 months

    Unfurnished apartments are leased by the apartment, which means there is one leaseholder and any additional occupants must be added online by the leaseholder. Monthly rent is charged to the leaseholder's MyMav account, and the leaseholder is solely responsible for paying the monthly rent and receiving rent from any roommate(s).

    Furnished Apartments

    UTA's three fully-furnished options, The Heights on Pecan, The Lofts (two bedroom) and Timber Brook, are offered based upon application date and availability. Students interested in The Heights on Pecan should complete the online application corresponding to the semesters for which they are interested in.

    The furnished apartments are leased by the bed, which means each resident has their own separate lease and is responsible only for his/her portion of the rent. The lease length at The Heights on Pecan is one year, beginning August 1 and ending July 31.

  • How are the Residence Halls contracted? 

    Residence Hall bed spaces are offered on a first-come, first-served basis depending upon application date. Students interested in living in any Residence Hall should complete the "AY" (Academic Year) application corresponding to the year or semester the student wants to live in the Residence Hall.

    All Residence Hall contracts are offered via email and students have four (4) days from the contract offer date to pay the $150 refundable deposit and sign the contract. Contracts are for the individual bed space, which means each resident has their own separate contract and is responsible only for his/her rental installments. Contract cancellation fees vary depending on the date of cancellation, and semester for which a student is cancelling. Refer to the respective Terms and Conditions for the cancellation fee schedule. 

  • What is a guarantor? 

    A guarantor is a parent or legal guardian that can sign a binding, legal Residence Hall contract, Meal Plan contract, or Apartment lease with a student under the age of 18 years old. A guarantor's signature is required for all students under the legal age to execute a contract to mitigate the risk of delinquent or defaulting residents.  

  • When is rent charged and how is it paid? 

    Apartment rent and Residence Hall installments are charged to students' MyMav account. Monthly rent and installments are due on the 1st day of each month. If monthly rent or installments are not paid by the 5th of the month, a $25 late fee will be assessed. 

General housing questions

  • Will I need a Meningitis vaccination? 

    All incoming Texas college students under 22 years old must be immunized against bacterial meningitis before they enroll in an institution of higher education. The new law mandates that first-time college students, students transferring from another institution and students who are re-enrolling following a break of at least one fall or spring semester be inoculated against the illness and submit proof of vaccination at least 10 days prior to the start of the semester.

    Students planning to enroll for the upcoming semester must immediately submit proof of vaccination to Admissions, Records, and Registration to ensure that their documents are processed in time to comply with the law. In addition, if you are required to receive the vaccination and are offered campus housing accommodations, you must comply with the meningitis vaccination requirements at least 10 days from a housing contract offer or 10 days before move in, whichever is earliest.

    For more information please see our University Meningitis page.

  • I have already applied for on-campus housing, when will I know if I have a space? 

    Residence hall bed spaces and apartments are assigned based on your application date and availability of space.

    Residence hall bed spaces will continue to be offered throughout the summer as cancellations occur and offers are declined. If you feel apprehensive about the waiting process we encourage you to consider other housing options such as Centennial Court. Centennial Court is also an on-campus housing community. For further information about Centennial Court please visit or call 817-548-4800. 

  • I do not have housing and I have not applied, what should I do? 

    If on-campus housing is still your first choice, you should immediately go online and apply for housing on our website. You must complete a separate application for both residence halls and apartments. 

  • Can I use Financial Aid to pay for my housing & dining? 

    Financial Aid can be used to pay for your meal plan and housing; however, Financial Aid will be used to cover the cost of tuition and fees prior to covering housing and dining costs. Please call Financial Aid at 817-272-3561 for further details. 

  • What is Residence Hall No-Show Day? 

    Rooms will become available on the first day of classes for each semester because of cancellations and no-shows. To apply for an available bed space, you cannot currently live on campus and must fill out the online form on the first day of classes between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. You will be notified by email after 1 p.m. to determine whether you have been assigned a housing space. 


  • What do meal plans offer? How can I sign up for one?? 

    To sign up for a meal plan please visit the University Housing office on the main level of the E.H. Hereford University Center, also called the UC. Meal plans have meals, Dining Dollars, and College Park Dollars. Meals can be used in the all-you-care-to-eat Connection Cafe (University Center) and Maverick Cafe (The Comons, and Dining Dollars can be used at any on-campus dining location. College Park Dollars can be used at the restaurants in the College Park District. All residents, whether in a residence hall or apartment complex, may sign up for meal plans. Residents in Arlington Hall, Vandergriff Hall, KC Hall, and West Hall are required to sign up for a meal plan. 

  • Do my unused meals and Dining Dollars carry over from one semester to the next? 

    Meals need to be used by the end of each semester. They will not carry over from one semester to the next. Dining Dollars and College Park Dollars roll over from fall to spring but expire at the end of the spring semester. Please note that Commuter Meal Plan Dining Dollars do not roll over from semester to semester. 

  • Can I change my meal plan? 

    Yes. After you have signed up for a plan, you have the first five business days of school to change it to best fit your needs. Complete a meal plan change form in the Univeristy Housing office. 

  • Can I sign up for a meal plan in the middle of a semester? 

    Yes. You can sign up at anytime, and the price will be prorated. Contact University Housing for details. 

  • Can I treat a friend to a meal?? 

    The meals in the Connection Café are for you. You can only use one meal per meal period, but you can use your Dining Dollars at any location to treat a friend to a meal. 

  • Do I need a separate card to redeem meals and Dining Dollars? 

    Both meals and Dining Dollars are on your Maverick ID after you sign up for your plan. Swipe your ID when you want to use a meal or Dining Dollars. 

  • Are there vegetarian options available? 

    Yes. The Connection Café and Maverick Café have several meal stations, including one that serves vegetarian and vegan dishes. The Café Features station also offers several other vegetarian options. Our staff members have been trained to understand the importance of cross contamination in regard to food handling. 

  • What are the hours of operation? 

    Hours differ by location. All of this information can be found at 

  • Can I use my Dining Dollars at the College Park District’s restaurants? 

    No. Meal Plan Dining Dollars are used at Chartwells locations found in the University Center, The Commons, POD markets around campus, and the University Library. For more information about dining on campus, click here. 

  • Can I use my MavMoney at the College Park District’s restaurants? 

    Each store can participate in UT Arlington’s MavMoney program. Look for the MavMoney decal at the front door for participation. View all the stores participating in the program here. 

  • Can I get a Student/Faculty/Staff Discount at the College Park District’s stores? 

    Each store can provide discounts to UT Arlington students, faculty, staff and alumni. To view the current discounts, check out the Student Governance & Organization’s website. 

  • Will the restaurants at College Park cater my organization or department’s event? 

    College Park Restaurants are a preferred vendor for dine-in or take-out business meals. Most of the restaurants have a catering menu and will be happy to work with your organization or department to plan your next event. With their proximity to campus and delicious food, it will be an excellent choice.