Frequently Asked Questions

The responsibilities toward students with disabilities in Higher Education institutions are very different from those of high schools. High schools are required under IDEA to identify the educational needs of students with a disability and provide a free and appropriate education.  Higher Education institutions are required to provide appropriate academic accommodations to ensure that a student with a disability is not discriminated against. The student is responsible for disclosing his or her disability to the institutions disability office.

Current Students FAQ

The Student Access & Resource Center (SAR Center) strives to treat all personal information with the strictest confidentiality. We respect the privacy of individuals and will err in favor of confidentiality whenever possible. It is the policy of the office to hold confidential all communications, observations, and information made by and/or between students, faculty, and staff whenever possible.

Learn more about the policy

Pregnancy Adjustment Accommodation

The first thing you should do is speak to your professor or instructor during office hours. Depending on the adjustment needed, the professor may be able to arrange adjustments for you without involving the Title IX Office or SAR Center. Not all professors are familiar with Title IX or ADA regulations, so if your professor tells you that you need to request assistance from the Title IX office of the SAR Center, don’t worry.

Students experiencing normal pregnancies typically need “reasonable adjustments” and would go to the Title IX Office. Pregnant students experiencing medical complications with their pregnancy generally have doctor’s notes and should go to the SAR Center. A good rule of thumb is whether or not you have a doctor’s note indicating that you need a particular accommodation. If you need assistance with something that a doctor has not put into writing, you likely need a “reasonable adjustment”, which would be handled through the Title IX office.

Alternatively, if you have medical documentation outlining a necessary accommodation due to a complication with your pregnancy, you will likely need to receive the accommodation through the SAR Center. If you are still unsure about which office can help you, you may contact either office and discuss your situation. They will be able to tell you whether you are in the right place or need to start in the other office.

Reasonable adjustments may include things like provision of a larger desk, excused late arrival and absences due to doctor appointments, allowing frequent trips to the restroom, or sipping water or eating food during tests, if necessary due to your pregnancy. It could also include taking exams or turning in assignments early or late due to a birth. Please keep in mind that because every pregnancy is unique, and every pregnant student has unique needs, this is not an exhaustive list.

Have more questions?

For additional questions contact our office by phone or email.