- Critical Thinking Skills: To include creative thinking, innovation, inquiry, and analysis, evaluation and synthesis of information.
- Communication Skills: To include effective development and expression of ideas through written, oral, and visual communication.
- Teamwork: To include the ability to consider different points of view and to work effectively with others to support a shared purpose or goal.
- Personal Responsibility: To include the ability to connect choices, actions and consequences to ethical decision-making.
Expected Learning Outcomes. By the end of ENGL 1301, students should be able to demonstrate:
- Use knowledge of the rhetorical situation—author, audience, exigence, constraints—to analyze and construct texts
- Compose texts in a variety of genres, expanding their repertoire beyond predictable forms
- Adjust voice, tone, diction, syntax, level of formality, and structure to meet the demands of different rhetorical situations
Critical Reading, Thinking, and Writing
- Use writing, reading, and discussion for inquiry, learning, communicating, and examining assumptions
- Employ critical reading strategies to identify an author’s position, main ideas, genre conventions, and rhetorical strategies
- Summarize, analyze, and respond to texts
- Find, evaluate, and synthesize appropriate sources to inform, support, and situate their own claims
- Produce texts with a focus, thesis, and controlling idea, and identify these elements in others’ texts
- Practice flexible strategies for generating, revising, and editing texts
- Practice writing as a recursive process that can lead to substantive changes in ideas, structure, and supporting evidence through multiple revisions
- Use the collaborative and social aspects of writing to critique their own and others’ texts
- Apply knowledge of genre conventions ranging from structure and paragraphing to tone and mechanics
- Summarize, paraphrase, and quote from sources using appropriate documentation style
- Control such surface features as syntax, grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Employ technologies to format texts according to appropriate stylistic conventions