Distinguished University Professor
Past President, The Electrochemical Society
Office: 354 Chemistry and Physics Building (CPB)
Phone: 817 272 1283
B.S. University College, 1969
M.S. Indian Institute of Technology, 1971
Ph.D. Indian Institute of Science, 1974
St. Francis Xavier University, 1975-1976
Colorado State University, 1976-1978
Senior Research Associate: Colorado State University, 1979-1983
Semiconductor Electrochemistry and Photocatalysis Attempts at developing efficient and stable photoelectrochemical (PEC) conversion systems have more recently led to exploring the potential and power of PEC methods for non-energy related research. Topics under study include novel in situ diagnostic tools for semiconductor film formation, and spectroscopic probes of charge and mass transport at semiconductor/electrolyte interfaces. We are also investigating the mechanisms of heterogeneous photocatalysis for toxic waste treatment and disinfection. A recent area of interest is solar hydrogen production. Conducting Oxides and Polymers In this area, our interests lie with charge and mass transport mechanisms, the development of novel in situ analytical probes of ion transport, and the chemistry/materials aspects of device applications including sensors, fuel cells, and capacitors. Environmental Electrochemistry We are interested in novel electrode materials for toxic waste treatment and chemical sensing of pollutants.
1. G. Ghadimkhani, N. R. de Tacconi, W. Chanmanee, C. Janaky and K. Rajeshwar, “Efficient Solar Photoelectrosynthesis of Methanol from Carbon Dioxide Using Hybrid CuO-Cu2O Semiconductor Nanorod Arrays,” Chemical Communications 49, 1297-1299 (2013).
2. K. Rajeshwar, N. R. de Tacconi, W. Chanmanee and C. Janaky, “Tailoring Copper Oxide Semiconductor Nanorod Arrays for Photoelectrochemical Reduction of Carbon Dioxide to Methanol,” ChemPhysChem, 14, 2251-2259 (2013). (Invited paper in Special Issue in Honor of Prof. Adam Heller; article also chosen for cover art).
3. N. Myung, S. Choi, W. Lee, S. Jeong and K. Rajeshwar, “Synthesis of Au/ZnO Composite Nanorod Arrays via Electrodeposition Followed by Galvanic Replacement,” Electrochem. Solid-State Lett. 2, D33-D36 (2013).
4. S. Ray, S. Chand, Y. Zhang, S. Nussbaum, K. Rajeshwar and R. Perera, “Implications of Active Site Orientation in Myoglobin for Direct Electron Transfer and Electrocatalysis Based on Monolayer and Multilayer Covalent Immobilization on Gold Electrodes, “ Electrochim. Acta 99, 85-93 (2013).
5. W. Lee, S. Jeong, N. Myung, K. Rajeshwar and C-W. Lee, “Compositional Analysis of Electrodeposited Cu-Se Compound Semiconductor Thin Films Using Combined Voltammetry and Flow-Electrochemical Quartz Crystal Microgravimetry,” Bull Korean Chem. Soc. 34, 3113-3116 (2013).
6. M. Mwania, C. Janaky, K. Rajeshwar and P. Kroll, “Fabrication of ß-SiC Quantum Dots by Photo-assisted Electrochemical Corrosion of Bulk Powders,” Electrochem. Commun. 34, 1-4 (2013).
7. C. Janaky, W. Chanmanee and K. Rajeshwar, “On the Substantially Improved Photoelectrochemical Properties of Nanoporous WO3 through Surface Decoration with RuO2,” Electrocatalysis 4, 382-389 (2013) (Invited article in Special Issue in Honor of Achille de Battisti).
8. W. Lee, N. Myung, K. Rajeshwar and C-W. Lee, “Electrodeposition of Cu2Se Semiconductor Thin Film on Se-Modified Polycrystalline Au Electrode,” J. Bull. Korean Electrochem. Soc. 4, 140-145 (2013). (Invited article in Special Issue in Honor of Su-Moon Park).
9. C. Janaky, W. Chanmanee and K. Rajeshwar, “Mechanistic Aspects of Photoelectrochemical Polymerization of Polypyrrole on a TiO2 Nanotube Array,” Electrochim. Acta 122, 303-309 (2014).
10. C. Lee, S. Jeong, N. Myung and K. Rajeshwar, “Preparation of Au-Bi2O3 Nanocomposite by Anodic Electrodeposition Combined with Galvanic Replacement,” J. Electrochem. Soc. 161, D499-D503 (2014).
11. N. Myung, W. Lee, C. Lee, S. Jeong and K. Rajeshwar, “Synthesis of Au-BiVO4 Nanocomposite through Anodic Electrodeposition Followed by Galvanic Replacement and its Application to the Photocatalytic Decomposition of Methyl Orange,” ChemPhysChem 15, 2052-2057 (2014).
12. G. F. Samu, C. Visy, K. Rajeshwar, S. Sarker and V. R. Subramanian, “Photoelectrochemical Infiltration of a Conducting Polymer (PEDOT) into Metal-Chalcogenide Decorated TiO2 Nanotube Arrays,” Electrochim. Acta 151, 467-476 (2015).
13. G. F. Samu, K. Pencz, C. Janaky and K. Rajeshwar, “On the Electrochemical Synthesis and Charge Storage Properties of WO3/polyaniline Hybrid Structures,” J. Solid State Electrochem. 19, 2741-2751 (2015) (Invited article in Special Issue in Honor of Mikhail A. Vorotyntsev).
14. H. Homayoni, W. Chanmanee, N. R. de Tacconi, B. H. Dennis and K. Rajeshwar, “Continuous Flow Photoelectrochemical Reactor for Solar Conversion of Carbon Dioxide to Alcohols,” J. Electrochem. Soc. 162, E115-E122 (2015).
15. A. Thomas, G. Samu, M. N. Huda, P. Sarker, J. P. Liu, V. Nguyen, E. Wang, K. A. Schug and K. Rajeshwar, “Time- and Energy-Efficient Solution Combustion Synthesis of Binary Tungstate Nanoparticles with Enhanced Photocatalytic Activity,” ChemSus Chem, 8, 1652-1663 (2015).
16. J. Ferreira de Brito, A. R. Araujo, K. Rajeshwar and M. V. Boldrin Zanoni, “Photocatalytic Reduction of CO2 on Cu/Cu2O Films: Product Distribution and pH Effects,” Chem. Eng. J., 264, 302-309 (2015).
17. N. Myung, S. Kim, C. Lee, T. Kim, K. Rajeshwar, “Facile Synthesis of Pt-CuO Nanocomposite Films for Non-Enzymatic Glucose Sensor Application,” J. Electrochem. Soc. 163, B180-B184 (2016).
18. D. Hursan, A. Kormanyos, K. Rajeshwar and C. Janaky, “Polyaniline Films Photoelectrochemically Reduce CO2 to Alcohols,” Chem. Commun. 52, 8858-8861 (2016).
19. A. Kormanyos, M. S. Hossain, G. Ghadimkhani, J. J. Johnson, C. Janaky, N. R. de Tacconi, F. W. Foss, Jr., Y. Paz and K. Rajeshwar, “Flavin Derivatives with Tailored Redox Properties: Synthesis, Characterization, and Electrochemical Behavior,” Chem. Eur. J. 22, 9209-9217 (2016).
20. M. Rochkind, M. Panduri, M. S. Hossain, F. W. Foss, Jr., K. Rajeshwar and Y. Paz, “Enhancement of Photoinduced Visible Light Degradation of Salicylic Acid by Covalently-Attached Synthetic Flavins on BiOCl Semiconductor Particle Surfaces,” J. Phys. Chem. C 120, 16069-16079 (2016) (Invited article in Special Issue in Honor of K. Uosaki).
21. A. Kormanyos, A. Thomas, M. N. Huda, P. Sarker, J. P. Liu, N. Pudyal, C. Janaky and K. Rajeshwar,“Solution Combustion Synthesis, Characterization, and Photoelectrochemistry of CuNb2O6 and ZnNb2O6 Nanoparticles,” J. Phys. Chem. C 120, 16024-16034 (2016) (Invited article in Special Issue in Honor of K. Uosaki).
22. M. Pandiri, F. W. Foss, Jr., K. Rajeshwar and Y. Paz, “Enhanced Photocatalytic Activity of a Self-Stabilized Synthetic Flavin Anchored on a TiO2 Surface,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 18, 18575-18583 (2016).
23. Z. Wei, D. Liu, C. Hsu, S. Sajjad, K. Rajeshwar and F. Liu, “Geometry-Enhanced Ultra-long TiO2 Nanobelts in an All-Vanadium Photoelectrochemical Cell for Efficient Storage of Solar Energy,” Nano Energy, 26, 200-207 (2016).
24. E. Kecsenovity, C. Janaky and K. Rajeshwar, “Decoration of Ultralong Carbon Nanotubes with Cu2O Nanocrystals: A Hybrid Platform for Enhanced Photoelectrochemical CO2 Reduction,” J. Mater. Chem. A, 4, 3139-3147 (2016).
25. K. Gandha, J. Mohapatra, M. K. Hossain, K. Elkins, N. Poudyal, K. Rajeshwar and J. P. Liu, “Mesoporous Iron Oxide Nanowires: Synthesis, Characterization and Photocatalytic Properties,” RSC Advances 6, 90537-90546 (2016).
26. A. Kormanyos, M. S. Hossain, F. W. Foss, Jr., C. Janaky and K. Rajeshwar, “Electrocatalytic Behavior of Freely-Diffusing and Immobilized Synthetic Flavins in Aqueous Media,” Catal. Sci. Technol. 6, 8441-8448 (2016).
27. G. F. Samu, A. Veres, B. Endrodi, E. Varga, K. Rajeshwar and C. Janaky, “Bandgap-Engineered Quaternary MxBi2-xTi2O7 (M: Fe, Mn) Semiconductor Nanoparticles: Solution Combustion Synthesis, Characterization, and Photocatalysis, Appl. Catal. B: Environmental 208, 148-160 (2017).
28. M. K. Hossain, G. F. Samu, K. Gandha, S. Santhanagopalan, J. P. Liu, C. Janaky and K. Rajeshwar, “Solution Combustion Synthesis, Characterization, and Photocatalytic Activity of CuBi2O4 and its Nanocomposites with CuO and α- Bi2O3,” J. Phys. Chem. C. 121, 8252-8261 (2017).
29. E. Kecsenovity, B. Endrodi, P. S. Toth, Y. Zou, R. A. W. Drye, K. Rajeshwar and C. Janaky, “Enhanced Photoelectrochemical Performance of Cuprous Oxide/Graphene Nanohybrids,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 139, 6682-6692 (2017).
30. V. A. Chirayath, V. Callewaert, A. J. Fairchild, M. D. Chrysler, R. W. Gladen, A. D. McDonald, S. K. Imam, K. Shastry, A. R. Koymen, R. Saniz, B. Berbiellini, K. Rajeshwar, B. Partoens and A. H. Weiss, “Auger Electron Emission Initiated by the Creation of Valence-Band Holes in Graphene by Positron Annihilation,” Nature Commun. 8, 16116 (2017) (DOI: 10.1038/ncomms16116).
31. N. R. de Tacconi, W. Chanmanee, B. H. Dennis and K. Rajeshwar, “Composite Copper Oxide-Copper Bromide Films for the Selective Electroreduction of Carbon Dioxide,” J. Mater. Res. 32, 1727-1734 (2017).
32. H-W. Jee, K-J. Paeng, N. Myung and K. Rajeshwar, “Electrodeposition of Cobalt Selenide Thin Films: A Electrochemical Quartz Crystal Microgravimetry Study,” J. Electrochem. Soc.165, D861—D866 (2017).
33. A. Wadas, I. A. Rutkowska, M. Bartel, S. Zoladek, K. Rajeshwar and P. J. Kulesza, “Rotating Disk Voltammetry: Diagnosis of Catalytic Activity of Metallic Copper Catalysts toward CO2 Electroreduction,” Russian J. Electrochem. 53, 1194-1203 (2017). (Invited paper in special issue honoring the 100th birthday of Prof. V. G. Levich.)
34. S. Chand, S. Ray, E. Wanigasekara, P. Yadav, J. A. Crawford, B. S. Pierce, D. W. Armstrong and K. Rajeshwar, “Improved Substrate Oxidation Catalyzed by Genetically-Engineered Myoglobin,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 639, 44-51 (2018).
35. C. Longo, M. Galante, R. Fitzmorris, J. Zhang, S. Taylor, J. Mohapatra, J. P. Liu, L. Duarte, M. Hossain, C. Hardacre and K. Rajeshwar, “Complex Oxides Based on Silver, Bismuth, and Tungsten: Syntheses, Characterization, and Photoelectrochemical Behavior.” J. Phy. Chem. C 122, 13473-13480 (2018). (Invited paper in special issue honoring Prof. P. Kamat.)
36. P. Sotelo, M. Orr, M. Galante, M. Hossain, F. Firouzan, A. Vali, J. Li, M. Subramanian, C. Longo, K. Rajeshwar and R. Macaluso, “Ternary Rare Earth Sulfide CaCe2S4: Synthesis and Characterization of Stability, Structure, and Photoelectrochemical Properties in Aqueous Media.” J. Solid State Chem. 262, 149-155 (2018).
37. H-W. Jee, K-J. Paeng, N. Myung and K. Rajeshwar, “Compositional Analysis of Electrodeposited Cobalt Selenide Thin Films Using Continuous Flow Electrochemical Quartz Crystal Microgravimetry Study,” J. Electrochem. Soc.165, D1-D5 (2018).
38. E. Szaniawska, I. A. Rutkowska, M. Frik, A. Wadas, E. Seta, A. Krogul-Sobczak, K. Rajeshwar and P. Kulesza, “Reduction of Carbon Dioxide at Copper(I) Oxide Photocathode Activated and Stabilized by Over-Coating with Oligoaniline,” Electrochim. Acta 265, 400-410 (2018).
39. B. Endrodi, E. Kecsenovity, K. Rajeshwar and C. Janaky, “One-step Electrodeposition of Nanocrystalline TiO2 Films with Enhanced Photoelectrochemical Performance and Charge Storage,” ACS Applied Energy Mater. DOI: 10.1021/acsaem.7b00289.
40. K. Rajeshwar, C. Janaky, W-Y. Lin, D. A. Roberts and W. A. Wampler, “Photocatalytically Prepared Metal Nanocluster-Oxide Semiconductor-Carbon Nanocomposite Electrodes for Driving Multielectron Transfer,” J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 4. 3468-3478 (2013) (Perspective).
41. K. Rajeshwar, C. Janaky and A. Thomas, “Photocatalytic Activity of Inorganic Semiconductor Surfaces: Myths, Hype, and Reality,” J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 6, 139-147 (2015) (Viewpoint).
42. C. Janaky, D. Hursán, B. Endrődi, W. Chanmanee, D. Roy, D. Liu, N. R. de Tacconi, B. H. Dennis and K. Rajeshwar, “Electro- and Photoreduction of Carbon Dioxide: The Twain Shall Meet at Copper Oxide/Copper Nanocube Interfaces,” ACS Energy Lett. 1, 332-338 (2016). (Cover feature)
43. C. Janaky, K. Rajeshwar, N. R. de Tacconi, W. Chanmanee and M. N. Huda, “Tungsten-Based Oxide Semiconductors for Solar Hydrogen Generation,” Catal. Today 199, 53-64 (2013).
44. C. Janaky and K. Rajeshwar, “The Role of (Photo)Electrochemistry in the Rational Design of Hybrid Conducting Polymer/Semiconductor Assemblies: From Fundamental Concepts to Practical Applications,” Prog. Poly. Sci. 43, 96- 135 (2015).
45. K. Rajeshwar, C. Janaky and E. Kescenovity, “Electrodeposition of Inorganic Oxide/Nanocarbon Composites: Opportunities and Challenges,” ChemElectroChem 3, 181-192 (2016). (Cover feature)
46. B. Endrodi, G. Bencsik, F. Darvas, R. Jones, K. Rajeshwar and C. Janaky, “Continuous – Flow Electroreduction of Carbon Dioxide,” Prog. Energy Combustion Sci. 62, 133-154 (2017).
47. K. Rajeshwar, M. Hossain, R. Macaluso, C. Janáky, A. Varga and P. Kulesza, Copper Oxide-Based Ternary and Quaternary Oxides: Where Solid-State Chemistry Meets Solar Fuels. J. Electrochem. Soc. 165, H1-H15 (2018).
48. D. Roy, G. F. Samu, M. K. Hossain, C. Janaky and K. Rajeshwar, “On the Measured Optical Bandgap Values of Inorganic Oxide Semiconductors for Solar Fuels Generation,” Catal. Today. 300, 136-144 (2018).
Monographs/Edited Volumes/Book Chapters
K. Rajeshwar, R. McConnell and S. Licht, editors, Solar Hydrogen Generation: Toward a Renewable Energy Future, Kluwer Academic, New York (2008).
S. Brankovic and K. Rajeshwar, “Electrodeposition for Energy Applications,” ECS Transactions, Vol. 13, No. 10 (2008) (149 pages). M. Tao, C. Claeys, L. Deligianni, J. G. Park, K. Rajeshwar and M. Sunkara, “Photovoltaics for the 21st Century, ECS Transactions, Vol. 41, No. 4 (2011) (248 pages).
K. Rajeshwar, R. McConnell, K. Harrison and S. Licht “Renewable Energy and the Hydrogen Economy,” in Solar Hydrogen Generation: Toward a Renewable Energy Future (edited by K. Rajeshwar, R. McConnell and S. Licht), Chapter 1, pp. 1-18, Kluwer Academic, New York (2008).
K. Rajeshwar, “Hydrogen Generation from Irradiated Semiconductor-Liquid Interfaces,” in Solar Hydrogen Generation: Toward a Renewable Energy Future (edited by K. Rajeshwar, R. McConnell and S. Licht), Chapter 7, pp. 167-228, Kluwer Academic, New York (2008).
T. E. Schlesinger, K. Rajeshwar, and N. R. de Tacconi, “Electrodeposition of Semiconductors,” In Modern Electroplating (edited by M. Schlesinger), Chapter 14, 383-411, Springer, New York (2010).
D. J. Boston, K-L. Huang, N. R. de Tacconi, N. Myung, F. M. MacDonnell and K. Rajeshwar, “Electro- and Photocatalytic Reduction of CO2: The Homogeneous and Heterogeneous Worlds Collide?” in Photoelectrochemical Water Splitting: Issues and Perspectives (edited by H-J. Lewerenz and L. M. Peter), Royal Society of Chemistry, London (2013)
Patents K. Rajeshwar and C. S. C. Bose, “Conducting Polymer Films Containing Nanodispersed Catalyst Particles: A New Type of Composite Material for Technological Applications,” U. S. Patent 5,334,292 (issued August 2, 1994).
K. Rajeshwar, C. Wei and S. Basak, “Redox Polymer Films for Metal Recovery Applications,” U. S. Patent 5,368,632 (issued November 29, 1994).
V. S. Agarwala, P. Pole and K. Rajeshwar, “Process for Removing a Coating from a Substrate,” U. S. Patent 7,229,953 (issued June 12, 2007).
K. Rajeshwar, N. R. de Tacconi, C. R. Chenthamarakshan, W. A. Wampler, T. Carlson, W-Y. Lin, “Photocatalytic Deposition of Metals and Compositions Comprising the Same,” U. S. Patent 8,143,185 (issued March 27, 2012).
Wilfred T. Doherty Award, American Chemical Society, Dallas-Ft. Worth Section, 1994
Editor, The Electrochemical Society Interface magazine, 1999-2013
Fellow of the Electrochemical Society, 2002-present
Charter Member, UT Arlington Academy of Distinguished Scholars and Researchers, 2004-present
Energy Technology Division Research Award of the Electrochemical Society, 2009
Honorary Degree of Doctor Honoris Causa bestowed by the University of Szeged (2017)
Editor-in-Chief, ECS Journal of Solid-State Science & Technology, 2019-present