206 University Hall
601 S. Nedderman Drive
Arlington, TX 76019
The Fast Track program allows outstanding undergraduate Political Science (POLS) students to take two to three graduate courses (5000-level courses) to replace six to nine credit hours of advanced POLS undergraduate courses (3000- or 4000-level courses). The credit hours earned in these graduate courses are then applied to both the Bachelor of Arts (BA) and to the Master of Arts (MA) in Political Science, thus shortening the time needed to complete the MA program. Those who successfully complete the program will also be automatically admitted to Graduate School. They will not be required to take any qualifying test, complete an application for admission to Graduate School, arrange for letters of reference, or pay an application fee.
Undergraduate students apply to the Department of Political Science by completing a Fast Track application form available from the POLS academic advisor. Students will be notified by the Department of their acceptance into the Fast Track program.
1. The student must be within 30 hours of completing a BA in Political Science at UTA.
2. The student must have completed 30 hours of coursework at UTA.
3. The student must have an overall GPA of at least 3.3 in all coursework at all schools and an overall GPA of at least 3.3 in all coursework completed at UTA.
4. The student must have an overall GPA of at least 3.5 in all POLS courses completed at UTA.
5. The student must have completed 12 credit hours of the following specific undergraduate POLS courses, with a GPA of at least 3.5 in these courses. (Courses from other universities or colleges that cover the same or similar material cannot replace any of these specific UTA courses.)
A student may gain provisional admission if, by the semester in which application is made, they have already completed three out of the four required POLS courses (listed above) with a GPA of at least 3.5 in them, with the fourth course to be completed in the semester of application. All other requirements above must be met. Provisional admission will be changed to unconditional admission upon satisfactory completion of remaining requirements. Students failing to meet all requirements at the end of their semester of application will be removed from the Fast Track program. Any credits earned prior to removal from the program will be applied to the undergraduate degree only. None of the other benefits of the Fast Track program will apply. Provisionally admitted students who have been removed from the program may subsequently apply to graduate programs via the normal application process, paying all fees and meeting all relevant admission criteria. Admission will not be automatic as it will be subject to the normal admission practices of the Department of Political Science and of the Office of Graduate Studies.
Students who do not meet the requirements set out shall be denied admission to the Fast Track program. They may still apply to the graduate program through the regular application process. Admission will not be automatic as it will be subject to the normal admission practices of the Department of Political Science and of the Office of Graduate Studies.
In order to remain in the Fast Track program, students must meet the following requirements:
1. Maintain an overall GPA of at least 3.0 as well as grades of B or better in all Fast Track-approved graduate courses that will be used to satisfy undergraduate and graduate degree requirements of the Fast Track program.
2. Enroll in at least 2 graduate courses prior to receiving their bachelor’s degree.
Students who, at any time, do not meet these requirements will be obliged to leave the Fast Track program. Any graduate credits earned will be applied only to the undergraduate degree, and none of the other benefits of participation in the Fast Track program will apply. They may apply to the MA program as a regular student after receiving their BA.
For more information about the POLS Fast Track Program, please contact the Graduate Adviser, Dr. Daniel Sledge firstname.lastname@example.org.