UTA J-1 Scholar Information For Hosting Academic Departments
J-exchange Visitor Program Information
For information on H-1B temporary nonimmigrant worker visas and the University's sponsorship of foreign national employees for permanent resident status, please visit: https://www.uta.edu/hr/international-employees/h1b.php
Reporting Exchange Visitor Arrival to UT Arlington
Upon arrival to the U.S. and UT Arlington, the scholar must report to the Office of International Education for mandatory orientation and program validation. The departmental liaison is expected to confirm orientation completion with the exchange visitor.
During the orientation:
- OIE will validate program participation, verify mandatory health insurance coverage, and provide helpful information about getting settled in Arlington.
- New scholar orientations are every Friday from 3 to 4 p.m. OIE is located at 1022 UTA Blvd.
- If the exchange visitor is not able to arrive by the program start date indicated on the DS-2019, the host academic department must notify OIE so that a new DS-2019 can be processed if appropriate.
The departmental liaison will request physical and system access to the visitor. It is always important that the access matches J-exchange visitor program dates.
Upon Departure from UT Arlington
CO-PD-PR10 Key and Lock Control
CO-ID-PR3 Sponsored Affiliate Identification Cards (Mav Express ID)
OIE will serve as the central record holder, however it is important that the departmental liaison also keep copy of the documents for their own records.
Required Forms to Request DS-2019
- Exchange visitor information form
- Dependent information form (if applicable)
- Memorandum for DS-2019
- Verification of English language ability (through a sponsor-conducted interview, by a recognized English language test, or by signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school).
- Verification of sufficient finances to support self and dependents if applicable for the entire stay in the United States
- Copy of passport ID page (if available)
- Resume or CV
* J-1 Scholars->USD 1,356/month
* J-2 Spouse -> USD 417/month
* J-2 Child -> USD 417/month
Please submit all the required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org for processing.
Exchange Visitor Program Requirements
Health Insurance Requirement
Health insurance is a mandatory requirement for J-1 scholars and their dependents. Failure to maintain adequate coverage as defined by the U.S. Department of State is grounds for termination of legal status. It is not only unwise to be in the United States without adequate health insurance, but also a violation of J-1 status. Although in many countries the government bears the expense of health care for its citizens, individuals and families in the United States are responsible for these costs themselves. Since a single day of hospitalization and medical treatment can cost thousands of dollars, many hospitals and clinics refuse to treat uninsured patients except in life-threatening emergencies. A good medical insurance plan is the only protection against the enormous costs of health care in the USA. The visitor is required to certify that he/she has the required levels of health, medical, evacuation and repatriation insurance for himself/herself and dependents. The U.S. Department of State defines adequate coverage as:
- Coverage of at least $100,000 per accident/illness, with no more than a $500 deductible.
- Coverage of at least $25,000 for repatriation of remains in case of death.
- Coverage of at least $50,000 for medical evacuation to the home country.
Health Insurance Companies
J-scholars must submit proof of eligible health insurance upon arrival at UTA for a minimum of 3 months. It is preferred the coverage covers the complete duration of stay.
English Language Requirement
The exchange visitor must be able to participate in his or her program and to function on a day-to-day basis in English. Suggested objective measurements of English Language Proficiency as per U.S. Department of State [22 CFR 62.11(a)(2)]
- A recognized English Language Test; (IELTS speaking score of 5, iBT speaking score of at least 18-25, or TOEIC speaking score of at least 6)
- Signed documentation from an academic institution or English Language School; or
- A documented interview conducted by the sponsor either in-person or by video conference, or by telephone if video conference is not a viable option. PLEASE INCLUDE COPY OF THE INTERVIEW RESULTS.
Sample English proficiency letter
212 e Home Residency Requirement
Additional Resources The Exchange Visitor Program Welcome Brochure
Wilberforce Pamphlet (Rights and Protections for Temporary Workers)
In order to extend a J-1 visitors time in the US past his/her original entry documents the host academic department must take the first step by submitting an extension request to the Office of International Education. This must be done before the current program end date on the DS-2019. Please note that 5-7 business days should be allowed for processing.
Please submit the following: