Health Insurance Information
Health Insurance Information – Spring/Summer 2021
The University of Texas Board Of Regents has passed Regents Rule 50402, which now requires only F1, F2, J1 and J2 students who are currently enrolled, to have medical insurance compliant with the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). The UT Student Health Insurance Plan (UT-SHIP) meets these requirements.
New Students: Students are automatically enrolled in the UT-SHIP at the time of registration, and the cost of the policy is included in the student’s tuition and fee bill via MyMav account. Information Sessions and additional information are provided during Fall and Spring Orientations.
The cost of the insurance for Spring 2021 is $1890.00 and the coverage period is January 1, 2021 until August 14, 2021. To help students manage the increase in cost of insurance, the university has made arrangements for students to pay their insurance charges through the tuition and fees installment payment plan.The installment payment plan allows you to pay in three separate installments.
New Student Checklist
- Attend Orientation
- International Office Hold is removed
- Auto-Enrolled into UT Ship Insurance
- Sign-Up for additional services. Vision or Dental (Optional)
- Complete Waiver before deadline (Each Semester)
*For additional information regarding the UT Student Health Insurance Plan visit https://uta.myahpcare.com/*
Health Insurance Waiver
The UT System has established criteria in which an international student can request a waiver from the UT-SHIP by providing proof of alternate health insurance coverage. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set in the UT System regulation and be PPACA compliant. Waivers must be submitted online and approved each semester to have the insurance charge removed from your student account.
Criteria to submit a waiver request, must meet one of the following:
- Sponsored Plan (US Government, Foreign Government, Embassy)
- Must guarantee payment of all health care expenses in writing
- Must be ACA compliant
- UT Employee Group Health Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- US Employer Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- US Individual Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- Enrolled exclusively in distance learning programs
If you meet one of the above criteria, then your alternate health insurance coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
- The mandatory coverage period of: January 1, 2021 through August 14, 2021.
- Unlimited maximum on benefits
- No Pre-existing condition limitation
- $500 or less deductible per condition
- Covers 100% of Preventive Care as defined by the PPACA
- Imposes no provisions for co-insurance that exceed 25% of the covered benefits per accident or illness
- Must be Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) compliant. (Travel plans will not be accepted)
*These requirements are non-negotiable.*
On-Line Waiver Process: DUE EVERY SEMESTER
Waiver Period: December 1, 2020 - February 5, 2021.
If you have an alternate health insurance plan and you meet the waiver eligibility criteria, please follow these instructions to apply for the waiver of the AHP University SHIP.
- Have an electronic copy your insurance card, policy benefits summary, and proof of medical evacuation and repatriation coverage (if you have this coverage) available.
- Go to http://uta.myahpcare.com/waiver
- Verify that you meet the waiver criteria, and if you do, select the “Click Here to Submit your Waiver Request” link.
- On the Login page, enter your UT Arlington MyMav ID number
- Enter the password you previously selected
- On the waiver home page, click on the red waiver button found under the "NO, I do not want the insurance" section.
- Complete the waiver form and attach copies of your scanned insurance documents.
- Select the ‘Submit Waiver’ button.
Note: “The Office for International Education will be notified if a student’s wavier is approved and will remove charges from student’s MyMav account.
Summer Insurance Waiver - Graduates ONLY
Students graduating in the Spring 2021 semester have the option to waive the summer portion of their student health insurance.
- Students must complete Part I of the Summer Insurance Waiver form.
- Student's academic adviser must complete Part II of the Summer Insurance Waiver form.
- Submit completed form via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not submit other document request with this form.
- Within 7 - 10 business days, OIE will determine eligibility. Once approved, insurance charges will be removed from Student Accounts.
Students are required to turn in the Summer Insurance Waiver form by February 5, 2021. Late waiver forms will not be accepted under any circumstances.
This is a voluntary insurance waiver meant for graduating students for summer ONLY.SUMMER INSURANCE WAIVER FORM