Pre and Post-Completion OPT Mailing Instructions
IMPORTANT: USCIS must receive your application before the end of your 60 day grace period following your program completion date or the application may be denied. USCIS must also receive your application within 30 days of the date your OPT I-20 was issued.
- Check your OPT I-20 carefully.
- On Page 1, make sure your personal details (name, date of birth, major, shortened program end date, etc.) are correct.
- On page 2, check to make sure your post-completion OPT recommendation is included with your requested I-20 start and end date.
- If any corrections are needed to your OPT I-20, contact the OIE before mailing your application to USCIS.
- Assemble the OPT Application Packet in the following order:
- G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance (Optional)
- 2 color photographs: white background, taken within the last 30 days, printed on thin, glossy paper and un-retouched; standard, full frontal face position. The head should be bare, unless wearing a headdress is required by a religious order to which you belong. Photo size 2 X 2 inches, with the distance from the top of the head to just below the chin about 1 3/8 inches. Lightly print your name and your I-94 number on the back of each photo with a pencil. Paperclip photos to the bottom left corner of the I-765.
- Check for $410, payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Paperclip your check on the top left corner of the I-765.
- Original I-765 form
- Copy of OPT I-20 (signed by you and a DSO), pages 1 and 2. OPT I-20 must be less than 30 days old.
- Copy of passport ID page showing picture and expiration date
- Copy of I-94, front and back (Include FIN# copy if subject to Special Registration)
- CPT Employment history page from your SEVIS record (The OIE will provide this when you come in to sign your OPT I-20)
- Copy of former EADs (of any previous OPTs), if applicable
- If you have had a change of status, include a copy of your approval notice. Also include a copy of the I-94 from the last date you entered the U.S
We recommend that you make a copy of the completed application for your records.
- Email Delivery Receipt
USCIS now provides the option for you to receive an e-mail and/or text message notifying you that your application has been received. To access this service, complete an E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance (Form G-1145), and attach it to the first page of your application. If you do not use the email notification system, it is recommended that the OPT application be sent to USCIS by Certified Mail.
- Mail the application
- OPT Receipt Notice
The OIE will receive a receipt notice from USCIS, usually 2-3 weeks after you mail the application. The letter contains the tracking number of your application. To track the process of your application online, go to the USCIS portal and follow the prompts in the section called “After I File.” Normal processing time at USCIS is 60-90 days from the date on the receipt notice. After the application has been approved, it usually takes up to 2 weeks for the card to arrive.
If you have question regarding this information or would like an OIE advisor to review your OPT packet, you may contact us during advising hours.
US Postal Service
(Regular Mail) Deliveries:
P.O. Box 660867
Dallas, TX 75266
For Express Mail and Private Courier (Non-US Postal Service) Deliveries:
2501 S. State Hwy 121 Business, Ste 400
Lewisville, TX 75067