The Power of Journalism
We've read and seen them. A news story that puts an important issue into perspective. A photograph that compels us to see the truth. A feature story that shines a light on the neglected or marginalized. That's the power of journalism.
What Can You Do With A Journalism Degree?
- Digital Layout / Page Design
- Copy Editor
- Web Editor
Courses In The Major
- COMM 2311 - Writing for Mass Media
- COMM 3315 - Communication Theory
- COMM 3300 - Communication Technology
- COMM 3310 - Communication Law and Ethics
Select Advanced Courses
- JOUR 2346 - Reporting
- JOUR 3360 - Sports Reporting
- JOUR 4326 - Feature and Opinion Writing
- JOUR 2340 - Photojournalism
- JOUR 4341 - Digital Storytelling
- JOUR 3345 - Copy Editing
- JOUR 4346 - Public Affairs Reporting
You can find the official link to all Communication and Journalism courses in the University Catalog.
Internships and Opportunities
We encourage all eligible students to do an internship while a Journalism student. The university's student-led, award-winning newspaper, The Shorthorn, offers many Journalism students valuable experience with writing news, feature and opinion stories, editing, producing multimedia content and designing print/online pages.
Journalism majors can participate in internships once they reach upper division status. The DFW Metroplex has two daily newspapers along with several specialty and weekly community newspapers, magazines and online news organizations.