There are 8 required courses (24 credits) in Linguistics and TESOL.
- In the area of Linguistics, there are 2 core courses (6 credits).
- LING 5300: Linguistic Analysis or LING 5309 Linguistics for Language Professionals
- LING 5305: Second Language Acquisition
- In the area of TESOL, there are 6 core courses (18 credits).
- LING 5301: TESOL Methodology
- LING 5302: TESOL Reading & Composition
- LING 5304: TESOL Pedagogical Grammar
- LING 5306: TESOL Curriculum Design
- LING 5307: Pedagogical Phonology of English
- LING 5393: TESOL Teaching and Observation
An Important Note about Course Sequencing
Students in the M.A. TESOL program are required to take courses in the appropriate sequence; doing so helps to ensure that they will have the necessary background to master the materials in more advanced classes. Key sequencings:
- LING 5300 (or equivalent linguistics foundation) is prerequisite for LING 5310/-11/-51, and LING 5305.
- LING 5301 or 5302 is prerequisite for LING 5303, LING 5304 and LING 5307.
- LING 5301, 5302, and 5305 are prerequisite for LING 5393.
For course descriptions, go to the Graduate Catalog (Linguistics Courses section).