The climbing wall is an exciting and fun alternative to traditional exercise. The rock is a simulated rock formation affixed with numerous hand and foot holds that provides mental & physical challenges to build strength, endurance, and self-confidence. Essential equipment, including seat harness, belay device, climbing rope, climbing shoes and chalk bags are provided.
Below are rules of the Climbing Wall to ensure safety and proper use:
- A climbing wall attendant must be present to climb on the wall.
- Do not step on climbing rope or climbing equipment.
- Climbers pockets must be empty.
- Knots and harnesses must be checked by a climbing wall attendant.
- Only a figure 8 knot can be used to tie climbers on to the rope.
- Only a locking D carabiner is used to connect the belay device to the belayer’s harness.
- Before climbing the climber says “Belay On” The belayer replies “On Belay” Climber says “Climbing” Belayer replies “Climb On.”
- Climbers should not step under or over an active belay.
- Climbers are prohibited from contacting bolt hangers with either feet or hands. Bolt hangers are for carabiner attachment only.
- Climbers are not permitted above eye level with the top of the wall.
- Climbers on the bouldering wall are not permitted to have their feet above the second panel of the bouldering wall.
- Climbers on the bouldering wall must climb with a spotter.
- Climbers may not boulder above or below any other climbers.
- All equipment used on the wall (except shoes) will be supplied by Campus Recreation.
- No food or drinks allowed in the climbing wall room.
- Campus Recreation reserves the right to remove any individual for violating the above safety policies or for any conduct that is viewed as unsafe or inappropriate.