Steps to Obtain an Advanced Certification
The College of Education offers three advanced certification options:
- Principal as an Instructional Leader certification with or without Master of Education in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies
- Reading Specialist certification with a Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction
- Superintendent Certification
1. Decide which advanced certification you want to obtain.
2. Apply to the UTA at ApplyTexas.org. Choose the graduate degree/certification you wish to obtain.
3. Submit all required documentation and meet Educator Preparation Program (EPP) requirements:
- Official Transcripts
- Classroom Teacher Certificate
- Teacher Service Record
- Acknowledgement Form
4. Submit the Advanced Certification Acknowledgement Form
5. Get approval to register for and pass the Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES).
To receive approval to register for the state certification exam (TExES), you must meet the requisites for your specific certification program. You will need to work with your Program Coordinator to receive approval and instructions to apply for exam registration. For more information, visit Texas Certification Exams
6. Submit certification application and fee to Texas Education Agency (TEA).
Once you have passed all of you certification exam, you must submit a certification application and fee to TEA. Your certification application will be recommended to TEA for final processing by the Certification Officer once ALL certification requirements have been met.7. Apply for graduation (if applicable).
College of Education students must apply online to gradate during their final semester. The online Graduation Application is available from the 12th day of class (4th day in summer) until the mid-semester deadline.8. Start your Educator career!
The Office of Field Experiences provides opportunities for job placements through the annual Education Career Day (Job Fair). This takes place on the UTA campus during the middle of Spring semester. School Districts and other educational employers often contact us seeking new Educators or to advertise job openings for upcoming or recent graduates. Career Services is another resource to assist you in beginning your career as an Educator.