Skip to content

Student Services

Transferring Undergraduate Coursework

Transfer Student Resource Tools

Transfer equivalencies are revised frequently; they are only to be used as a guide and do not guarantee that a specific course will transfer to UTA until an official UTA evaluation is completed.

Below is a list of tools that a student can utilize to help with viewing how courses are transferred to UTA.  Click here to access all of the resource tools. 

  • UTA Maverick Transfer Track is a customized tool for future UTA students to see what credits will be needed to complete a degree at  UTA. You can also view other UTA degree plans to see the best fit for any of your academic endeavors.
  • Transferology  is a centralized degree audit and articulation service that eases student’s progress from one institution to another. This feature allows you to easily see how your courses apply to UTA courses. 

  • Transfer Evaluation System (TES)  is used to help students get an early indicator of which courses from your current or previous Texas institution will transfer to UTA. Please note this system is not fully comprehensive to credits that may transfer to UTA.   

  • Transfer Guides  are guides that are provided by each academic department for each of their degrees. These guides are not degree plans. Each guide provides you the UTA Course Name, UTA Course Numbers and the Texas Common Course Number. Please discuss your official degree plan with your academic advisor.  

  • Transfer Resource FAQs

To help in the planning of your future degree programs, the flexibility of requirements and course offerings please contact your University Academic Advisor   or log into the UTA Maverick Transfer Pathway Portal

Transfer Credits

Courses taken at another regionally accredited college or university, that is appropriate to UTA curriculum, may be approved for transfer credit toward a University of Texas at Arlington undergraduate degree. UTA operates on a semester basis; credits transferred from a quarter system institution are converted to semester credit hours. Transfer credits are not calculated into UTA’s GPA. All students seeking to enroll at UTA must meet outlined Admissions criteria listed on our Admissions website.   

 Credit is normally given for courses that meet the following conditions:

  • Equivalent to courses that are or could be offered at UTA
  • Completed at a regionally accredited academic institution
  • Cannot be used to satisfy high school graduation
  • Taken for a letter grade (not including pass/fail)

The following types of non-traditional course work will not transfer to UTA for undergraduate credit:

  • Life experience and life skills courses
  • Remedial, College preparatory, Vocational and Developmental courses
  • Proctored only courses
  • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • Distance Learning Programs or Continuing Education Programs

Understanding UTA Equivalent Credit vs. TRAN Credit

Students transferring in courses from other institutions can be awarded either equivalent credit or TRAN credit. UTA equivalent credit satisfies the same major and minor requirements as courses taken at UTA. However, TRAN credit is generally elective credit that counts toward a student’s total hour requirement for graduation. A student wishing to request re-evaluations of TRAN credits will need to:

  • Request a course syllabus from the other institution
  • A faculty or staff member from the former school must submit the syllabi directly to the Transfer Articulation email as a PDF and include the requesting student information
  • Student must then submit a request for transfer credit re-evaluation by email to the Transfer Articulation team

The Office of the Registrar, in conjunction with academic departments, determines whether courses are appropriate for transfer to UTA as specific UTA equivalent courses or as TRAN credits.   UTA equivalent credit usually requires departmental approval.  The student will be notified by email of decision.

Credit for Military Education

Academic credits are considered for only those courses listed under the Military courses section on an official Joint Services Transcripts (JST). Credit is awarded based on ACE recommendations and UTA credit policy (these standards are subject to change).

Non-Regionally Accredited Transfer Credit

Non-Regionally Accredited Transfer credits are those courses taken at institutions of higher education that are not regionally accredited. Student who have taken courses at institutions of higher education that are not regionally accredited must request to transfer coursework from those institutions, as well provide a syllabus for all courses requested. The courses submitted will be reviewed by individuals in the academic department most closely related to the content. If approved, these courses will be added to the student transfer evaluation and My Mav. The student will receive an email (UTA email) when the form is submitted, and when the decisions for each course are final.

Non-Regionally Accredited Transfer Credit Request

Transient Process for Off Campus Request

Transient request is for students who are requesting permission to study as a transient student at another institution. A student should always consult with your academic advisor(s) to ensure that you have select appropriate courses and that any credits transferred to UTA from another institution will satisfy degree requirements and residency requirements. The student must also make sure they are in good academic standing (i.e., has a minimum 2.0 GPA at UTA) before making the request.

  • Student interested in placing transient request must provide the following information below:
  • Submit a request by email to the Transfer Articulation team prior to enrolling in the course.
  • Check with your academic advisor to see if the course will be transferable and will be applicable toward a degree
  • The request must include:
    • The student Name, UTA student ID, Date of Birth, Semester attending (UTA), Phone Number, UTA email
    • The Hosting Institution Name, Address, Contact person
    • The Hosting Institution Course Title, Course number and Credit hours