Petition for Credit by Examination

Did you take AP, IB, CLEP or other credit-by-exam tests?  Follow the steps below to have the credit applied to your unofficial transcript:

1.  Talk to your advisor about which credit will work in your degree program.

2.  Log into your MYMAV account.

  • Navigate to the Academic Record Tile
  • On the left menu, select the Petition for Credit Tab
  • Please read through all the instructions on the Petition for Credit screen before scrolling to the bottom of the page
  • Toggle the bottom from "No" to "Yes", selecting only the classes that apply to your degree plan 
  • Click the Submit my Request for Credit button to finalize your request 

You may receive credit for a course only once, any duplicates will no longer have a “Select Credit” option once you have submitted your choices. You cannot go back and unselect any of the items you submitted. However, if you choose not to petition for a particular course at this time, you may come back at anytime while you are a current student and complete the petition for that course.

*To claim credit for CLEP Spanish, French or German, you must go to Testing Services.

  • UT Arlington does not automatically post credit to your transcript from any credit-by-exam such as Advanced Placement exams, CLEP exams, or International Baccalaureate Program exams.  You should consult with your academic advisor concerning credits you will need for your degree program and then use the MyMav program to petition to have the credit put on your transcript.


    • Have you had your test scores sent from the test company such as College Board, IB Diploma Program or DSST?  Official scores must be sent to UTA’s Testing Center before they can be displayed.  Information on how to have scores sent to UTA is on the Testing Services web site.
    • You may not have met the credit-by-exam policy requirements for UTA.  Please go to Testing Services' Credit-By-Exam web site for complete information on what exams UT Arlington accepts and minimum scores required to earn credit.   
    • You may already have the course credit on your transcript. You can only receive credit for a course once. If you took the course at another college or claimed the credit-by-exam at that college, it may have already been transferred to your UTA transcript.
    • You are currently enrolled in the course. You can not claim credit for a course in which you are currently enrolled, unless you have written permission from the Chair of academic department that offers the course.
    • You took CLEP Spanish, French or German Language test. These must be handled individually in the Testing Services office. Please visit Testing Service in 004 University Hall with your photo ID to petition for credit.
    • You took the test at an academic department or received certification from that department. When Testing Services receives notification from the department, we will contact you with payment information. Once we receive payment we will post the score and update your Petition for Credit page.
    • You are a Graduate Student. The Graduate School will not allow credit-by-exam on a graduate transcript. If you need the credit for a prerequisite or certification of proficiency, please contact your graduate school advisor.
    • You are a UTA Employee. Employee petition for Credit must be handled manually. Please visit Testing Services in 004 University Hall with your photo ID for assistance.
  • You already have credit for that course or similar course on your transcript.  


    This is your first semester at UTA - You and your advisor can view what credits you are eligible for, however you cannot claim the credit until after census date of your first semester.  Your advisor can use this information to assist you with registering for the appropriate courses for your schedule.

  • The academic department that offers the course decides which exams are accepted and the minimum score required to earn credit.  This ensures the exam content matches the course offered at UTA and the score meets course standards for passing.

  • Please make sure you have taken the correct CLEP test.  UTA accepts the College Composition – Modular exam and you must also complete the Modular essay and have it scored at UTA.  You must pass both parts of the test to earn credit.