COLLEGE LEVEL EXAMINATION PROGRAM (CLEP)
The CLEP Subject Examinations are designed to assess achievement in specific college subjects. Each test contains various kinds of multiple-choice questions and allows 90 minutes to complete the items. For credit by examination in any English course, UT Arlington requires the optional CLEP Essay. Students who wish to have test scores evaluated for credit by examination in English must have their objective scores and essays sent to Testing Services (school code 6013). Testing Services will evaluate the objective scores and send eligible students' essays to English Department faculty for scoring. Additional requirements for eligibility are listed below. There is a three-month waiting period to repeat any CLEP examination.
CLEP Subject Examinations may be taken at any national testing center. Score reports are sent to your designated test center within one week after the test date. Other test centers, detailed descriptions of CLEP examinations, sample questions and suggested resources for preparation are available on The College Board web site at https://clep.collegeboard.org/. UTA is an open CLEP test center administering CLEP exams to students and others in the DFW community. Examinees can only receive course credit at UT Arlington if they are an actively enrolled student and have completed a semester of course credit.
UTA Students please note the following Credit-by-Examination Policy:
"Credit by examination can be awarded only for courses in which the student has neither a passing nor a failing grade (including a Z in English) at UTA or transfer credit from another institution of higher education." Read the complete list of credit-by-exam policies for UTA. The policy used to determine your eligibility is based on your test date or your enrollment date at UTA, whichever date is most recent.
"The Office of Records will complete petitioned CLEP scores that are processed via the Testing Center once the student has an established UTA GPA. No longer will scores be posted after census day of the current term of enrollment." Students that have questions about CLEP score posting should contact the Testing Center.
PRACTICE PREP TEST
Visit Test Resource or the College Board.
CLEP OPTIONAL ESSAY
- UTA requires the optional essay for the College Composition - Modular, American Literature and English Literature CLEP tests for credit.
- After the multiple choice test is complete and a passing score is met, then an additional $30 payable to UTA will be required before administration of the Optional Essay.
MODERN LANGUAGE INFORMATION
- Up to 14 hours credit (1441, 1442, 2313, and 2314) may be granted for each exam, depending on your score.
- The Spanish CLEP exam includes a supplemental test of grammar, spelling and punctuation for UTA students only. There is no essay involved in the Spanish CLEP required by UTA.
- The supplemental test may only be taken a total of two times, once when taken with the CLEP and one retake if needed. There is no study guide for the supplemental test.
- If you have already taken the CLEP Spanish Language exam, you do not need to take it again. Send your official scores to UTA and register to take the ASE Spanish Supplemental.
Subject Examinations1 (Computer) Satisfactory Scores and Course Credit
1 All CLEP Subject Examinations may be taken at any national CLEP test center, including UTA. Send scores to UTA (6013). There is a three-month waiting period for retaking any CLEP Subject Examination. A second score with a test date less than three months from the test date of the first score will not be evaluated.
2 A score of 55 on English CLEP exams establishes eligibility to have the optional English essay scored. The optional essay must be sent to Testing Services, to be scored by English Department faculty. A satisfactory score on both the objective and optional essay tests is required to be eligible for credit.
3 Credit with letter grades is available for test scores with test dates on June 1, 1991, and later. Letter grades are assigned on the basis of specific test scores. Test scores from retake examinations may be evaluated for additional credit or credit with a letter grade but cannot be used to replace a letter grade earned from a previous test score.
4 To receive credit for Spanish Language 2314, the Spanish Supplemental Exam must be taken after completing the CLEP Spanish Language Exam. If taken immediately afterwards, there is no cost, otherwise there will be a proctoring fee of $35. The Spanish Supplemental Exam covers grammar and spelling.
SP22 Effective Spring 2022, a minimum score of 50 awarded Spring 2022 or later, is eligible to receive corresponding course credit where applicable.
|Accounting||Financial Accounting||55/50SP22||ACCT 2301|
|Biology||General Biology||50||BIOL 1333 & 1334 or BIOL 1441|
|Chemistry||General Chemistry||50||CHEM 1345|
|50||CHEM 1441 & 1442 or CHEM 1465|
|Economics||Principles of Macroeconomics||54/50SP22||ECON 2305|
|Principles of Microeconomics||54/50SP22||ECON 2306|
|English||College Composition –
|French||French Language(Levels 1 & 2)3||50-55||FREN 1441,1442|
|56-69||FREN 1441, 1442, 2313|
|70-80||FREN 1441, 1442, 2313, 2314|
|German||College German(Levels 1 & 2)3||50-55||GERM 1441, 1442|
|56-68||GERM 1441, 1442, 2313|
|69-80||GERM 1441, 1442, 2313, 2314|
|Government||American Government||50||POLS 2311|
|History||History of United States I||50||HIST 1301|
|History of United States II||50||HIST 1302|
|Western Civilization I||50||HIST 2311|
|Western Civilization II||50||HIST 2312|
|Management||Principles of Management||60/50SP22||MANA 3319|
|Marketing||Principles of Marketing||63/50SP22||MARK 3321|
|College Algebra||50||MATH 1302|
|Psychology||Introductory Psychology||50||PSYC 1315|
|Sociology||Introductory Sociology||50||SOCI 1311|
Spanish Language(Levels 1 & 2)3
|50-55||SPAN 1441, 1442|
|56-80||SPAN 1441, 1442, 2313|
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Please review the general Policies and Procedures page for more information.
CLEP REGISTRATION FOR IN-PERSON TESTING (TWO STEP PROCESS)
1. Visit https://clep.collegeboard.org/started to purchase your CLEP test and any study materials. You will receive a CLEP ticket as part of your purchase. The CLEP ticket ID is provided in the upper right corner of the ticket.
2. Register for the proctoring of the CLEP Exam on the UTA Testing Services site. You will need your test ticket number to register. You must bring the printed CLEP ticket with you on the day of your proctored test appointment with UTA.
Fees: $30 non-refundable administration fee payable to UTA; and $89* testing fee to CLEP (see below). Additional $30 fee payable to UTA on the day of the test if taking an essay exam. (*CLEP ticket fee subject to change).
For veterans: If you are an eligible veteran, you can receive full reimbursement for CLEP exam and administration fees from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. For more information, visit https://www.va.gov/gibill-test-fees . For more information about CLEP and the benefits available to veterans, visit www.collegeboard.com/clepveterans.
AFTER THE TEST
- CLEP exams are accepted by most colleges and universities, check with your college for acceptance.
- CLEP credits will be posted to a student's official record after the Census Date of their second semester.
- UTA students that want to claim credit for Spanish, French or German CLEP exams must go to the Testing Services office in University Hall room 004 to complete a petition. Students will not be able to claim your credit on My Mav.
- All other CLEP credit can be claimed online within 4-5 business days via MyMav>UTA Customizations>Petition for Credit after a successful completion of the CLEP exam and meeting the credit-by-exam policy requirements.