Surviving your First Year on the Job
Regardless of the industry or position, your first job can be the launch pad for a highly successful career path if you want it to be. The following is a brief list of things you can do to have a successful first year on the job:
- Always be punctual – This may sound basic, but a lot of recent grads often misunderstand the “face-time” rules of their respective organizations/companies. Be where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be there.
- Be Prepared – If you have meeting, make sure you have the items you need and be prepared to take notes.
- Keep the clothing conservative – Your company will probably have a dress code, follow it.
TIP – Watch how your colleagues and supervisor dress. Follow the old adage: “Dress for the job you want.“
- Phone etiquette. Keep personal phone conversations to a bare minimum unless there is an emergency. And remember, no texting, checking social media, etc. during work—especially during meetings!
- Email etiquette. Write ALL email messages in a professional manner. Remember: there’s really no such thing as “Delete”.
- Be a team player.
- Have a can-do attitude.
- Listen and look. Analyze the office culture and adapt to it.
These are just a few of the tips on how to survive your first year on the job. These tips are designed to help get you started, but remember that our career consultants are available to provide you with more individualized assistance.
Surviving your First Day on the Job
During a recent panel discussion hosted by the Career Development Center titled “How to Wow the Real World,” local executives and professionals talked about how graduates should approach the First Day on the Job. Watch the video below to learn more.
HIREAMAVERICK is our online database of jobs and internships from employers recruiting UT Arlington students and alumni. By registering with HIREAMAVERICK, you will gain access to our job listings database as well as the opportunity to participate in On-Campus Interviews. These are employers specifically seeking YOU!
Registering for HIREAMAVERICK is easy! To gain access to our HIREAMAVERICK database, you can fill out a registration form in our office (216 Davis Hall), or email us at email@example.com to request the form.