634 Nedderman Hall
416 Yates Street
Arlington, TX 76019-0019
Graduate Certificate in Big Data Management and Data Sciences
Our credit-bearing, degree-leading Big Data Management and Data Science Certificate is intended to give those who successfully complete it:
- an ability to understand fundamental concepts of big data management and data sciences, such as data storage and management, and data analysis and mining
- knowledge of current topics in large scale data analysis, such as relational and non-relational data management, big data analytics, data mining, machine learning, cloud computing,
- software tools for big data, Web data, and social and information networks
- an ability to apply this knowledge to subject areas, such as business analytics, computational science, health informatics and bioinformatics, and social networks data
All completed certificate coursework can be applied towards an MS or PhD degree.
This certificate is managed by:
- Dr. Leonidas Fegaras, administrator, and Chair, Graduate Studies Committee
- Dr. Ramez Elmasri, co-administrator, and CSE Associate Chair
- Dr. Bahram Khalili, Associate Professor of Instruction and Graduate Advisor
CSE certificate students are required to have an undergraduate preparation equivalent to a baccalaureate degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or in a technical field relevant to the CSE curriculum. Students without a proper academic background, as determined by the graduate advisor at the time of the admission review, will be required to complete the CSE 5300 Foundation of Computing course and earn a passing grade in addition to the four required graduate courses.
Individuals interested in the certificate program can apply for admission using the UTA application for admission via ApplyTexas. Should a certificate student wish to continue on to an MS or PhD degree program in the CSE department, the certificate courses may be used toward that advanced degree. Note that for admission to the MS degree program, all UTA and CSE graduate degree admission requirements, including GRE and GPA, would need to be met.
The course requirements for the Big Data Management and Data Science Certificate are:
- CSE 5300 – Foundation of Computing (**Required only if insufficient CSE background)
- CSE 5301 – Data Analysis and Modeling Techniques
- CSE 5334 – Data Mining
- CSE 6331 – Cloud Computing
- CSE 6363 – Machine Learning
A grade of C or better and an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher is required in all courses counted towards the completion of the certificate. The certificate program consists of 4-5 existing courses. Students enrolled in the certificate program will take courses with students studying for master’s and/or PhD programs in the CSE Department.