As required by Texas HB1508, applicants need to be aware of the following.
- In order to receive a teacher certification in Texas, you must pass a criminal history background check.
- If you have been convicted of an offense that is considered not appropriate for an educator, you could be ineligible to earn this certification from the state of Texas.
- You have a right to request a preliminary criminal history evaluation letter from the Texas Education Agency prior to admission into this program. The Texas Education Agency currently charges a $50 fee for this criminal history evaluation.
For more information on Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation: Click Here
- Pursuant to the Texas Education Code (TEC), §22.083, candidates must undergo a criminal history background check prior to employment as an educator.
- Pursuant to the TEC, §22.0835, candidates must undergo a criminal history background check prior to clinical teaching.