Ph.D. in Social Work Admissions
To be considered for admission to the PhD program, an applicant must have:
- MSW Preferred
MSSW or MA in related field
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 minimum in the last approximately 60 hours of university level credits as calculated by the UTA Office of Admissions, Records and Registration
- Masters GPA of 3.4 minimum as calculated by the Office of Admissions, Records and Registration
- The GRE has been waived for Fall 2021 admission requirements
- Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work to the Office of Admissions, Records & Registration
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of academic goals consistent with the Social Work Program
- Professional writing sample that provides evidence of the applicant’s writing and critical thinking skills.
- Three letters of recommendation indicating professional and academic potential
TOEFL Score Requirement: International applicants must submit a score of at least 550 on the paper-based TOEFL, a score of at least 213 on the computer-based TOEFL, a minimum score of 7.0 on the IELTS, or a minimum TOEFL iBT total score of 90 with sectional scores that meet or exceed; 23 for the writing section, 23 for the speaking section, 22 for the reading section, and 22 for the listening section. UT Arlington’s ETS institutional code is 6013.
When you complete the TOEFL your scores will be sent electronically to Graduate Office of Admissions, Records and Registration through TSI.
The priority deadline for applications is January 15th. Immediately following the January 15th deadline, the selection committee will begin the initial review of applications. To be included in the initial review process, application materials should be received by January 15th. Although applications may continue to be reviewed and may be accepted after the January 15th deadline, all available slots may be filled if your application is received after the January 15th deadline.
- If you graduated with a Master’s degree from a university other than UT Arlington, you must complete an Application for Admission form through the ApplyTexas website.
- If you already earned a master’s degree from UT Arlington, you do not fill out the Application for Admission form on the ApplyTexas website. Instead, you will need to complete an Application for Readmission Form and submit it to the Office of Admissions, Records and Registration.
- If you have or will graduate from UTA during the upcoming spring or summer semester (current master’s student) and you are applying for the doctoral program for the upcoming fall semester start, then you will only need to fill out the Request to Change Graduate Program form.
- All Admission Application Form types can be found at the ApplyTexas website.
Transcripts and Application Information
- Request that your transcripts be sent directly to the UTA Office of Admissions, Records and Registration.
- Make sure to send your Application form and fee to the UTA Office of Admissions, Records and Registration, as it must be processed there first.
- The Office of Admissions, Records and Registration will then send a copy of your application form to the School of Social Work Admissions Office.
- Email the following admission material directly to email@example.com:
- Three (3) references (Click to download Recommendation/Reference Form)
- Sample of written work
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of educational and professional goals
Helpful Links and Contact Information
All new PhD students start in the fall semesters only. We have a full-time and part-time PhD program. Full-time PhD students receive funding for three years through a combination of tuition payment, fellowship awards and stipends for graduate assistants and graduate teaching assistants. See FAQs for more information.
Admissions decisions to the PhD program is based on the quality of application and supportive materials. Click here to view criteria used for evaluating applications to the PhD program.
UTA Application information can be found at the following website:
For additional information contact the School of Social Work’s Admissions Office at 817-272-1044 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Get In Touch with SSW Admissions
Admissions Counselor III
Admissions Counselor III