How can I get a job in military social work

Military Social Work Graduate Certificate

Prepares individuals to work with military service members, veterans and their families in clinical settings.

Military Social Work Graduate Certificate

The Military Social Work Graduate Certificate prepares MSW students and graduates who will be working with military populations in clinical social work settings.

The Military Social Work Certificate includes five (5) courses for a total of 15 Semester Credit Hours (SCH).

These five courses include:

Required: SOCW 5355: Military Social Work
The focus of this course is to examine military culture using a diversity framework that involves considering ethical implications for practice, comprehending prevalent social and health issues, and the effects of policies and health disparities across diverse social identities within varied military environments. Students enrolled in this course will analyze current advances in knowledge on the neurobiological underpinnings of human behavior and development pertinent to social and health issues as well as resilience to stress and adversity among diverse members of the military population. Students will identify and evaluate the relevant implications for social work practice with individuals, families, groups, programs/organizations, and communities using a multicultural multidimensional perspective in connection with social justice, social work values, knowledge, and skills. Students will also examine the structural and systematic arrangement and delivery of social welfare services at the micro, mezzo, and macro levels of social work practice.


And then four of the six courses listed below are required:


SOCW 5361: Military Trauma


SOCW 5316: Stress, Crisis and Coping


SOCW 5359: The Military Family


SOCW 5315: Brain and Behavior


SOCW 5354: Principles of Substance Use Treatment


SOCW 5360: Treatment with Military Populations

The certificate equips students with the clinical practice skills and knowledge necessary for providing trauma-informed care for military personnel and military-connected individuals. This certificate is designed for social workers interested in mental health and trauma-informed clinical care with military populations.

Current UTA MSW students and newly admitted students in a direct practice specialty in good academic standing may complete the Military Social Work Graduate Certificate. Current and newly admitted students should contact their academic advisor to add the certificate to their degree plan.

Individuals who have already earned an MSW degree with a clinical focus from a CSWE-accredited institution with a 3.0 GPA or higher may also apply.  If you are not a native speaker of English, please submit official TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo scores. To submit your application, go to ApplyUTA, select School of Social Work, select the appropriate graduate certificate, and pay the application fee.