Office of Advising and Student Success
Welcome to the School of Social Work’s Academic Advising and Student Success Office!!
Here is where you will find your academic advisor plus so much more to help you with being successful during your journey in the University of Texas at Arlington’s School of Social Work. So whether you are a BSW, BSW-Intended, BSSUT, BSSUT-Intended or an MSW current or newly admitted student, the following information may be for you.
Academic Advisors at the University of Texas at Arlington guide students through exploration, identification, and pursuit of their educational, personal and career goals. Advisors equip students to attain academic success and promote lifelong learning. Ultimately, academic advisors offer essential academic services that help students persist and graduate.
Advisor Responsibilities and Student responsibilities are found on UTA Academic Advising webpage.
- Assist students to define and develop their goals through personal and professional development.
- Understand and effectively communicate UT Arlington and department policies and procedures in a timely and efficient manner.
- Guide students in making decisions regarding their degree path, registration, and graduation.
- Advocate for student success by providing resources and referrals to other campus offices as needed.
- Provide a safe, respectful, and confidential environment to ask questions and share concerns.
- Familiarize yourself with UT Arlington policies and procedures and the degree requirements and guidelines specific to your major. Detailed policies can be found in the UTA Catalog.
- Communicate respectfully, openly, and honestly with your Academic Advisor regarding topics related to your educational goals and academic performance. Seek advice and ask questions if you do not understand the information given during advising, need clarification regarding degree requirements, and/or need university resources to assist in academic success.
- Regularly schedule and keep academic advising appointments.
- Arrive on time for advising appointments and call or email if you cannot attend.
- Understand and accept that you are responsible for your own education and decisions.
Student Success and Advising Canvas Page
Need information about advising, writing resources, School of Social Work activities and UTA Resources, check out our Canvas page.
- Open the Student Success course on your Canvas dashboard and enroll here. You'll find that it opens to a new home page.
- On the home page, you'll see the names of the new modules, along with a brief description of their contents. Scroll down and click the module named "Academic Resources."
- The Academic Resources menu will open. Find the page named "Writing Workshops." Under this page, you'll see a separate page for each of the recorded workshops. Locate the title you're interested in viewing, click on it, and you'll find the video and workshop notes.
Advising Power Hour
Do you have general advising questions that don't require a full appointment? Interested in meeting other SSW students but can't make it to campus? Looking to learn more about the Social Work profession? If this sounds like you, join your advisor during their Power Hour. Their days/times are listed under their bio. Remember, you're not the only one in the session so this is not to be used for an advising appointment. To schedule an appointment, use the links under your advisor's bio.
Need to meet with your advisor but there's no upcoming appointment available, drop-in either in person or virtually on Wednesdays. To schedule your 30-minute drop-in time, click the link above/below. Be sure to select in-person or virtual and your advisor. Remember, drop-in sessions are on a first come basis and the link only opens on Wednesdays.
Academic Advising Drop-In Link
General Advising and Student Success Contact