Office of Advising and Student Success
Welcome to the School of Social Work’s Academic Advising and Student Success Office!!
Here is where you will find your academic advisor plus so much more to help you with being successful during your journey in the University of Texas at Arlington’s School of Social Work. So whether you are a BSW, BSW-Intended, BSSUT, BSSUT-Intended or an MSW current or newly admitted student, the following information may be for you.
Academic advisors help students explore their interests and connect them to critical resources that provide the tools for informed decision making aligned with academic, career, and community minded goals.
The responsibilities of the academic advisor at UT Arlington are to:
- Empower students to discover and attain their academic and life goals;
- Serve as an advocate for student success;
- Serve as an interface to university services; and
- Provide accurate information about academic standards and requirements in a timely and efficient manner.
Establishing a strong connection with your academic advisor puts you on the right track for academic success.
Student Success and Advising Canvas Page
Need information about advising, writing resources, School of Social Work activities and UTA Resources, check out our Canvas page.
- Open the Student Success course on your Canvas dashboard and enroll here. You'll find that it opens to a new home page.
- On the home page, you'll see the names of the new modules, along with a brief description of their contents. Scroll down and click the module named "Academic Resources."
- The Academic Resources menu will open. Find the page named "Writing Workshops." Under this page, you'll see a separate page for each of the recorded workshops. Locate the title you're interested in viewing, click on it, and you'll find the video and workshop notes.
Advising Power Hour
Do you have general advising questions that don't require a full appointment? Interested in meeting other SSW students but can't make it to campus? Looking to learn more about the Social Work profession? If this sounds like you, join your advisor during their Power Hour. Their days/times are listed under their bio. Remember, you're not the only one in the session so this is not to be used for an advising appointment. To schedule an appointment, use the links under your advisor's bio.
Need to meet with your advisor but there's no upcoming appointment available, drop-in either in person or virtually on Wednesdays. To schedule your 30-minute drop-in time, click the link above/below. Be sure to select in-person or virtual and your advisor. Remember, drop-in sessions are on a first come basis and the link only opens on Wednesdays.
Academic Advising Drop-In Link
General Advising and Student Success Contact