Additional Certification Information

Additional Certifications

Once an Educator obtains their Initial Certification, they have the opportunity to gain additional certification by exam.  Additional Certifications by Exam

Certification Renewal

Certifications are valid for 5 years.  To renew, Educators must complete 150 clock hours of Continuing Professional Education (CPE). For more information and a list of providers, please visit the appropriate link on the TEA website:

Fingerprinting Information and Rules for TEA

COEd TEA Complaint Procedure

Out-of-State Certifications

Educators from another state or country must apply for a review of their credentials through TEA.  

Transferring to Another State

If an Educator plans to move to another state, it is most efficient and beneficial for them to complete the certification process in Texas then apply for a teaching license in the new state.  Contact the state education office information on their review and application process.  They may request that a Verification Form be completed by the Educator Preparation Program (EPP) the Educator completed. Please send those requests to the Certification Officer.

Criminal History Acknowledgement:

As required by Texas HB1508, applicants need to be aware of the following.

  1. Eligibility for Texas teacher certification in Texas requires that you pass a criminal history background check.
  2. If you were convicted of an offense that is not considered appropriate for an educator, you could be ineligible to earn this certification in Texas.
  3. You have a right to request a preliminary criminal history evaluation letter from the Texas Education Agency prior to admission into this program. The Texas Education Agency currently charges a $50 fee for this criminal history evaluation.

For more information on Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation:


Please be aware the State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) regularly updates certification requirements. This means that your coursework, exam scores, and even your Clinical Experience (Clinical Teaching) can expire. If you delay taking your exams and/or applying for standard certification, you may be required to repeat coursework and/or clinical experience.


Students will only be released to test and/or recommended for certification in the certification area that the candidate was prepared. If the candidate fails to become certified within five years of graduating or there is a significant change made by SBEC in certification standards or test requirements, UTA may require additional coursework or training before granting test approval.