Skip to content

Initial Teacher Certification

Students who hold a Bachelor’s degree must obtain teacher certification at the graduate level at The University of Texas at Arlington. Teacher certification can be earned either through a certification-only program (non-degree seeking) or the Master of Education in Teaching. Click on the program you are interested in to view the coursework required for that program, as well as other helpful information.

If you were previously enrolled in another Texas Teacher Educator Preparation Program; Alternative Certification Program or University-Based Program, you must email and request a TEA Transfer of Data Form. Failure to do so will result in delay of your program continuance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE for graduate students pursuing initial teacher certification. PLEASE READ.

  • The Texas Education Agency has issued new requirements for student teacher supervision, according to the Texas Administrative Code (TAC 228.35(f). This includes a minimum of three 45-minute formal classroom observations followed by a 20-minute interactive conference between the student teacher and the university supervisor. This means that all UTA student teacher placements must be in our partner districts in the DFW area. There will be no out of area placements. The Field Office will place all student teachers in a partner district based on the availability of cooperating teachers in the different subject areas.

You can view admission requirements for these programs on the admissions page.

Early Childhood - Grade 6 ESL/Core Subjects Early Childhood - Grade 6 ESL/Core Subjects
Early Childhood - Grade 6 Bilingual Core Subjects Early Childhood - Grade 6 Bilingual Core Subjects
Mid-Level (4-8) Mid-Level (4-8)
Secondary (7-12) and All-Level (EC-12) Secondary (7-12) and All-Level (EC-12)

CONTENT: If you wish to pursue Mid-Level, Secondary, or All-Level certification, you must choose a subject you wish to teach. This is what the state refers to as your 'Content Area'. You must have a minimum of 24 undergraduate hours in your chosen content area and at least half of those hours must be junior/senior level classes. Your content must be verified by a professor in your discipline who has been designated as a Content Advisor before you will be permitted to enroll in Education coursework.

If the Content Advisor finds that you must take more than 12 hours to complete your content coursework, you will have to complete them before beginning the certification program. All content coursework must be completed before you can begin student teaching!

Teacher certification levels and content areas offered at UTA:

Core Subjects English Language Arts and Reading Art
Bilingual Core Subjects History Music
Social Studies Physical Education
MID-LEVEL (GRADES 4-8) Mathematics
English Language Arts and Reading Life Science (Biology, Geology)
Social Studies Science (Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics)
Science (Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics)
Core Subjects